1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

comma after 'everywhere' [adverb]: everyone, everywhere, by 2015

Discussion in 'English Only' started by julietatuya, May 19, 2011.

1. julietatuya New Member

English
    In the following sentence, should I include the comma after "everywhere"?

Without: The MDGs are a framework adopted by world leaders for the international community to work together toward a common end - making sure that human development reaches everyone, everywhere by 2015.

With:The MDGs are a framework adopted by world leaders for the international community to work together toward a common end - making sure that human development reaches everyone, everywhere, by 2015.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    This is an interesting question, Julieta Tuya. I can't think of a good functional reason for any comma between "everyone" and "everywhere", or after "everywhere". However, using two compounds with "every-" is unusual, and placing a comma before and after "everywhere" seems to make the adverb work something like a miniature non-essential explanatory phrase. I think you'll be safe in using the second version of your sentence.

It wouldn't surprise me if another member came to a different conclusion. :)

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. chfattouma

chfattouma Senior Member

Doha, Qatar
    Tunisian Arabic
    Hello,
    the comma is redundant here as there isn't any other word to add to the list as in the following": everyone, everywhere, whenever...
    the first alternative is the correct one

4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Both choices are grammatical. It's a matter of personal preferences. In English, we don't have rules for everything; there are often many ways to phrase and punctuate.

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If you have one, you must have both.
    So it should be:
    ... reaches everyone everywhere by 2015.
    OR
    ... reaches everyone, everywhere, by 2015.

6. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    I generally treat commas as indications of pauses when read aloud. When deciding whether to put a comma, I go by gut feeling to see whether I have a pause there, and my gut here agrees with panj: if I pause before everywhere, then I must also pause after it.