1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

comma before 'and' [compound predicate]: like to... and to achieve

Discussion in 'English Only' started by charlies1902, Jan 20, 2013.

1. charlies1902 Junior Member

English - American
    Does there need to be a comma before the second 'and' in this sentence: 'I would like to pursue a career where I can use my abilities, resources, and knowledge and to achieve my goals?'

2. I would omit the comma before the first 'and' and insert one before the second 'and'.

Rover

3. charlies1902 Junior Member

English - American
    How come the comma before the first and is wrong?
    Isn't it a list?
    i.e: 'I like turkey, ham, and beef.'

Or does the addition of the second 'and' change the way the commas are arranged?

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
  5. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Maybe because one's unlikely to say "'I like turkey, ham, and beef, and pork."

GS

6. charlies1902 Junior Member

English - American
  7. charlies1902 Junior Member

English - American
    Actually, is it still grammatically correct to just drop the first 'and' completely. Like so:
    'I would like to pursue a career where I can use my abilities, resources, knowledge and to achieve my goals?'

8. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Not across my editing desk. :thumbsdown:

9. charlies1902 Junior Member

English - American
    Yeah I see why, it loses the grouping.

10. clandry Junior Member

American English
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the following two sentences are equally correct.

'I would like to pursue a career where I can use my abilities, resources, and knowledge and to achieve my goals?'
    '
    I would like to pursue a career where I can use my abilities, resources and knowledge and to achieve my goals?'
    'I would like to pursue a career where I can use my abilities, resources and knowledge, and to achieve my goals?'