1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    Una amiga ha comprado un perrito y quiere saber los "mandatos" apropiados en español. No sé si ese tipo de mandato es "literal" o no. Cómo se dice:

SIT
    STAY
    STAY DOWN
    LIE DOWN
    GO TO SLEEP
    ROLL OVER
    GET IN YOUR BED
    GIVE THE PAW
    SPEAK
    QUIET

2. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish
    Bueno, tal vez hayan algunas otras ....
    espero estas te ayuden

3. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    Gracias, Sparrow!

Yes, in USA very smart dogs speak! It often sounds like a "bark" though.

T M :D

4. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish
    Terry: world goes so fast that I wouldn't be surprised if dogs would "speak":eek: :p , anyway, I know it was a joke !!!!!!!!!:D

so it's LADRA !!!! (SPEAK IN DOGGY LANGUAGE :rolleyes: ) forgive me, I should've wrote it before........

cheers !!!

5. Maeron Senior Member

Mexico City
    Canada, English
    Spanish speakers often use the English words for dog commands because the words are shorter and easier to "bark" out. (Compare, for example "SIT" and "SIÉNTATE"). I had the interesting experience of meeting don Ricardo who lives in the mountains in the semi-rural outskirts of Mexico City, and who learned to train his dogs by observing his neighbour on the adjoining farm, who is a dog breeder. Although don Ricardo does not speak any English, he gives his dogs commands in English that he picked up from watching and listening to the neighbour. (And the dogs obey perfectly.)

6. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish
    you are right, but sometimes (in a family with children) they prefer to use the words in mother language so as not to confuse children (especially if they are 3 or 4 and still learning their language). In Spanish speaking countries you will definitely find people commanding dogs using words in English, but it's advisable not to do it when there are kids.

7. chicalita

chicalita Senior Member

English
    our pup (see pic) only takes Spanish commands, will not respond to English at all.

sientete: sit
    echete: lie down
    ven aca: come here
    alto: stop (only at a street corner)
    pasa: get in the house / through the door already
    subete: get in the car / on your couch (he has his own)
    bajete: get out of the car / off your couch
    quedete: stay
    cuida: get your nose out of the car door before it closes
    calmete/tranquilo: shut up already
    YA: knock it off, whatever you're doing
    besele/me: kisses!

8. Sparrow22

Sparrow22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina-Spanish
    I know that even though I made some correction (sorry :() your dog understands you anyway :p !!!!!

cheers

9. rodneyp Senior Member

Atlanta, GA
    US, English
    Y los mandatos...

Go! Get out of here! -- Vé! Vete de aquí

Stop humping your bed -- Deja de ??? tu cama (Sí mi perrita tiene esta problema, jaja)

Go eat -- Vé a comer / vete a comer

10. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish [PR], English [US]
    Don't forget "fetch" (Busca! o Trae!) is also a command for the dog to bring back something you have thrown (like a stick, for example).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  11. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Although the topic may seem like a small category, the organization of this forum does not lend itself to compiling lists. Instead, we are organized like the dictionary: with one term per thread. That way, someone who is searching for "fetch" can scroll to the bottom of the WR dictionary entry for fetch and see a list of threads about that term. Dictonary users will not find this thread, with nelliot's translation, because the title and subject are a category of terms, instead of one specific term.

Because this thread may be useful to others, it will remain in the forum, for the time being. However, because it is not in line with the organization of the forum, it is now closed. Please keep in mind, when starting new threads, that this forum does not accept requests to compile lists of all terms in a category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.