1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Comment dire/comment se dit

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Erin_R, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Erin_R

Erin_R Senior Member

Dublin
    Ireland, English
    Hi,

A very basic question but I wanted to ask how to say "how do you say..." in French! Is it "comment dire"? Merci! :)

2. Ecliptica

Ecliptica Senior Member

Paris, 17ème
    Français France (Paris)
    3 solutions :
    "Comment dire?" (easy for the foreigners because of the infinitive but not used very often by the natives)
    "Comment dites-vous?(/dis-tu?)"
    "Comment dit-on?" (the most common one)

3. Erin_R

Erin_R Senior Member

Dublin
    Ireland, English
    OK, merci beaucoup Ecliptica! That question has been plaguing me for ages!

4. Erin_R

Erin_R Senior Member

Dublin
    Ireland, English
    Actually I'm sorry, I have another question...in the course of a conversation, if I'm searching for the right word/expression and I want to say "oh, how do you say it...", can I still say "comment dit-on"? Thanks again!

5. Ecliptica

Ecliptica Senior Member

Paris, 17ème
    Français France (Paris)
    I would use : "Oh, comment le -for "it"-dites-vous... ?"
    "dit-on" refers to "how do we say it?" and "dis-tu" refers to "how do you personally say it?"
    And, unfortunately for you, basically, in English "how do you say it?" could mean both !

6. Erin_R

Erin_R Senior Member

Dublin
    Ireland, English
    Yes, you're right - "you" in English covers a lot of things! So could I use "oh, comment le dit-on" if I want to say "how do you say it" (or actually what I really mean is "how is it said")? In English, "how do you say it" is just a general expression used when you're searching for the right word but, like you said, it is a bit ambiguous! Thanks again for your help. :)

7. Ecliptica

Ecliptica Senior Member

Paris, 17ème
    Français France (Paris)
    Je vous en prie :)

"oh, comment le dit-on?" or "oh, comment dit-on + noun?" is perfect for your case ^^

Bon courage pour la suite de votre apprentissage ;)

8. Erin_R

Erin_R Senior Member

Dublin
    Ireland, English
    Perfect, thanks so much!! :D