common thread

Discussion in 'English Only' started by FLOWER, Apr 18, 2009.

1. FLOWER Senior Member

MEXICO, DF
    Mexico, DF - spanish
    Hi!

I am very confused about the phrase' common thread' in the following sentence. What is the exact meaning of common thread? If you don't mind,can you also please explain the words in Italics?

Storing trillions of bits of information and working with Geographic Information System(GIS) , the system uses geogrpahic position as a common thread. Although it became popular in the 1990s, GISs were developed in 1960s.

2. mjscott Senior Member

I am thinking of buying a pizza. Someone else is trying to explain to you how some map locator works on the internet. I Google PizzaHut. The request asks for my zip code. I put in my zip code.
    "Storing trillions of bits of information and working with Geographic Information System(GIS) , the system uses geogrpahic position as a common thread. Although it became popular in the 1990s, GISs were developed in 1960s."

A common thread--or the PizzaHuts that I would be most interested in would be the PizzaHuts that are closest in my neighborhood.

I hope that gives you some understanding....
    Good luck

3. Greg1975 Junior Member

Poland
    Polish
    "Storing trillions of bits of information and working with Geographic Information System(GIS) , the system uses geogrpahic position as a common thread. Although it became popular in the 1990s, GISs were developed in 1960s."

"Common thread" is the basic idea on which the system is based, or the axis around which the system revolves.

You give it geographic coordinates and it gives you back the data associated with that position retrieved from the GIS database.

4. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Example: Gordon: None of you had known about this 'cause the young girl, Maria, grabbed the plate and was about to throw it away. That's a common thread in this restaurant.

Source: Kitchen Nightmare Season 6 Episode 16

Background: The restaurant featured in this episode has been plagued with the owners' overinflated egos. During the dinner service, Ramsay has a chance to take a closer look at the restaurant's problems. He finds out that there are a number of dishes being sent back but the chef and her sous chef have no way to know that because they all go straight to the pot washer. Ramsay tells the chef about the problem, but his well meaning intentions are met with a cold and curt"whatever".
    Maria is the only waitress of the restaurant.

Hi,
    does common thread here mean "that's what the restaurant is running on"?