Como ejemplo que parece significativo, en los años corridos de este siglo..

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Dominican Translator, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Dominican Translator

Dominican Translator Senior Member

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic - Spanish
    Hola, here I am again..
    This one is easy:

Como ejemplo que parece significativo, en los años corridos de este siglo....

Tengo una duda:

Should I say: 'As an example that seems to be significant, in the spent years of this century....',

or, 'As an example that seems to be significant, in the passed years of this century...'

Gracias!!

2. rogersgb Junior Member

US -English
    Hola,

We don't use "spent" in that sense; "spent" is usually for money (I have spent all of my paycheck). For the first phrase, you can say:

"As an example that seems significant..." (without "to be")

Can you give the complete sentence? I can't tell from the context whether "recent years" or "past years" (not "passed") would be more accurate. ...?

GR

3. Dominican Translator

Dominican Translator Senior Member

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic - Spanish
    The complete sentence is:

En Colombia, como ejemplo que parece significativo, en los años corridos de este siglo las ventas editoriales han superado las exportaciones tradicionales de café.

My suggestion:

In Colombia, as an example that seems significant, in the past years of this century, the editorial sales have exceeded the traditional coffee exports.