como se dice pase de visita medico

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by salones, May 30, 2012.

1. salones New Member

como ¿Cómo se dice "pase de visita medica" en inglés?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  2. hansonpm Senior Member

English - US
    More context would be helpful.

I guess pase is a noun here?

Does it mean a pass for free care, or just something giving permission to see a doctor, or to go at a certain time?
  3. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    I imagine it must be a "visitor's pass" for someone to be able to go into a hospital room to visit a patient. But let's see what Salones says that he or she is trying to find.
  4. salones New Member

el pase de visita es cuando los medicos de un servicio de reunen y ven a cada uno de los pacientes ingresados en sus camas
  5. hansonpm Senior Member

English - US
    Sounds like "rounds" is what you are looking for.
    Definition of ROUND

a : a route or circuit habitually covered (as by a security guard or police officer)
    b : a series of similar or customary calls or stops <making the rounds of his friends...>; especially : a series of regularly scheduled professional calls on hospital patients made by a doctor or nurse —usually used in plural

There are various types of "rounds":
    "Work rounds" - the interns/residents make their daily evaluation, review lab results, write necessary orders, etc.
    "Attending rounds" - the attending physician goes around with the interns/residents and other team members to oversee and discuss the care of the patients on the service
    "Teaching rounds" - could take place with attending rounds, or be a separate sit-down session more explicitly focused on teaching related to the cases on the service
    "Grand Rounds" - a special monthly or quarterly session, involving a larger group than just one ward team, where one or more particularly salient cases are presented and discussed. Generally does not involve actually seeing patients.
    "Fluid rounds" - the team goes out for drinks after work :)
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    In Argentina I knew that as "pase de sala." What country is it from?