como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa....

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by kakimka, Mar 17, 2006.

1. kakimka Junior Member

Hi ¿Could someone translate the following lyrics that come from a Shakira song..

"Como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa"

"Baila en la calle de noche
    Baila en la calle de día"

"Mira en Barranquilla se baila así"

thank you xx
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  2. lafert Senior Member

at the edge
    Spanish Uruguay
    May be it will help.
  3. kakimka Junior Member

Yes, that helps... Thank you x
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  4. pacificblue Junior Member

Hibiscus Coast, New Zealand
    New Zealand (English)
    Hi guys

Sorry if I shouldn't be responding in this post so long after it was opened but I'm new & I read the rules & couldn't see anything wrong with that =)

If como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa means :

What´s its name, pretty, my house, your house

I don't quite understand how that relates to anything else in the song ?

I know you won't be able to tell me WHY those words are there but I wonder if there is another way of translating it so it makes a little more sense with the other lyrics ?

It just doesn't seem to fit ...

Thanks (& sorry again if I shouldn't be posting here) :eek:
  5. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

First off, don't worry about posting on old posts. :) I've posted on posts that haven't been active for years!

Anyway, in this song ¿Cómo se llama? Bonita, mi casa, su casa
    would translate as:

What's your name, pretty [girl], my house, your house

So here's the connotation:

Hey what's your name. You're pretty (you're a pretty girl). We can go to my house, your house, wherever.

You know? In the song it kind of has that other connotation. It may not necessarily say so, but it implies so. :) Reading between the lines! ;)

6. pacificblue Junior Member

Hibiscus Coast, New Zealand
    New Zealand (English)
    Ahhh - lost in translastion. =) Thank you.
  7. Rux New Member

Re: Como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa....
    I believe it is actually an enumaration of the few words known by foreigners (especially Americans) in the context <she makes a man want to speak Spanish>
  8. Mateland Senior Member

English USA
    Yeah I agree with that. Ive heard the song and I think there is a lyric that says something like.

"So I speak English and you speak Spanish so the music is the only thing we be understanding"
  9. Bacan-quillero_in_BCN New Member

Spain(BCN) - Spanish("barranquillier")
    Hi Pacific-blue, all,

Yes, I agree with Rux and Mateland, this expression is more an ennumeration of "Spanish-language clichés" than a sentence with real meaning (base on cultural matters).

p.d. Kakimka: Barranquilla is the native city of Shakira (located at Colombian Caribbean Coast)
  10. Alexesp New Member

Spain - Spanish
    I know it is an old thread, but I would like to put my opinion.

It could be that "mi casa" was a mistranslation of "my homey". Home in spanish is casa, but homey, in this context, could be cariño(dear), nena(baby) or something like that. I don't know.
  11. eviss20

eviss20 New Member

San Ramón,Costa Rica
    Costarican spanish
    I don't think "mi casa" is a mistranslation of "my homey".
    Have you heard of the spanish phrase "mi casa, tu casa"? Which literally means "you can feel at home, my house is your house"...
    I think that's how it goes, although it could have a more sexual meaning as Bienvenidos mentioned.