Complete - Incomplete predication.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by MrFred, Mar 18, 2006.

1. MrFred Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina Español
    Hello all, I'm trying to figure out the difference between complete and incomplete predication.
    First of all..verbs are diveded into 2 groups: transitives and intransitives...but at the same time, each group can be subdivided into complete and incomplete, How do I know when it's complete or not ?

for instance:

"She died". I guess it's a complete predication, because just by writting the subject and the verb I can understand what it means...

in the case of " I consider him my best friend " ...if I just write the subject and the doesn't make any sense at all, it a incomplete predication ? Please, I would like somebody to tell me if there's any rule or something and to give me examples of it.

Thank you very much !
  2. Denévola Senior Member

#1 Verbs of Complete Predication are Predicative. These are verbs in a Personal Mood, and they can form full sentences together with their Subject when they are Intransitive; if they are Transitive, they need the help of the Direct Object to form a full sentence.

The boy runs. (Verb Intransitive)
    John is eating a pie. (Verb Transitive. This bold word is the Direct Object)

#2 Verbs of Incomplete Predication are not Predicative. This means, although they are in a Personal Mood, they cannot form with their Subject full sentences.

His colleagues proved very helpful. (Note that we need the words marked in bold, in order to make some sense of this sentence).
    Those articles set John among the great scenarists. (Again, without the words in bold the sentence above makes no sense.)