1. Awkward1 Senior Member

Hola, tengo que traducir "Compota de frutas". No sé a qué se refiere exactamente, ya que aparece sólo ese producto. Es para la comida de un colegio.

¿Como lo traduciríais:Fruit puré, Fruit sauce, Fruit compote o ninguna de las anteriores?

Me encantaría que me ayudaseis ya que es urgente.

Mil gracias!
  2. mateitop

mateitop Senior Member

UK, English
    Fruit compote
  3. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Fruit salad?
  4. mateitop

mateitop Senior Member

UK, English
    No - compote is a posh word for jam, it's a bit more runny (less viscous) and basically a bit posher.
  5. OTELO Senior Member

español, MADRID
    La compota de frutas es como un puré hecho a base de frutas con azúcar, más ligera que una mermelada. La traducción, mejor la dejo para un nativo.
  6. Awkward1 Senior Member

Muchas gracias a todos! Por favor, si podéis seguid diciéndome vuestras propuestas. Muchas gracias
  7. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

8. nellie1973 Senior Member

Seville, Spain
    Native English and Portuguese
    I agree, for a school menu I'd put "jam" and for a Restaurante de 5 tenedores "compote"... very swish word for jam!!
  9. neskatila_27 Junior Member

Spanish, Spain
    La compota es una especie de macedonia en la que en vez de utilizarse frutas frescas, se usan frutas que se han sometido a un proceso de secado. Normalmente lleva: pasas, orejones, higos chumbos
  10. cyberpedant

North Adams, MA
    mateitop and OTELO are perfectly correct. The difference between "compote" and "fruit salad" is in the cooking--and possibly the addition of sugar. But I've never heard the word "compote" here in New England. We have a similar dish (but it has a "crust") :
    An American dessert that dates back to Colonial American time. A ‘betty’ is a baked pudding, made with layers of sweetened and spiced fruit and buttered bread crumbs. It is usually served with a lemon sauce and/or whipped cream. The most familiar one is the Apple Brown Betty, made with sliced apples and brown sugar.
    Check this link:
  11. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

But ¨jam¨ is also mermelada in Spanish.

I read this:

The terms conserves, jelly and jam are used in different parts of the world in different ways. A general rule of thumb is that a jelly contains little or no fruit pulp or seed, while a jam or conserve makes use of the whole fruit.

I am really confused as to when we should use jam, compote, preserve, etc.
  12. Awkward1 Senior Member

Estoy confundido yo también :S Por varias razones:
    a) Algunos no han escuchado la palabra COMPOTE
    b) JAM es también mermelada, y compota de frutas no es mermelada.

Seguid opinando por favor :D
  13. cyberpedant

North Adams, MA
    We have several words for cooked and sweetened fruit:

[​IMG] Pronunciation jaem
    Definition1.a sweet spread usu. made by cooking crushed fruit and sugar. Synonyms preserves (2) , conserves Crossref. Syn. preserve Similar Words spread , marmalade , jellyBut note that all of these are made with "crushed" (machacada) fruit. In practice, we don't make much difference between these confections. If one were to ask for "jelly," for example, in a restaurant, one would not be upset if the water brought any of the above (although they are somewhat different from one another). You would not substitute a "compote" for "jelly." The compote is eaten as a dish in itself (or perhaps with ice cream), whereas "jam," etc., is usually spread on bread.
  14. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    That's right.
    I have been to several restaurants in the US where they serve hot fruit compote as a side dish, and it's exactly the same as "compota de frutas".

If someone confuses this with jam, then better change restaurants.