1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

compound verb spacing

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by vientito, Sep 18, 2012.

1. vientito Senior Member

There's something I've meant to clarify for a long time but is there a fix rule to dictate if there's a spacing between individual elements in a compound verb

ex. 짜 맞추다 = 짜다 + 맞추다

I have seen this being written sometimes as one verb without spacing and sometimes with spacing. There are many compund verbs that I have seen that appear to me quite inconsistent in the use of spacing. I am thinking maybe the rule is lax on this. However, I would like to get some clarification on this matter.
  2. jakartaman Senior Member

There's a government organization called 국립국어원(www.korean.go.kr). They dictate how Korean should be used. They change rules every 15 years or so. I personally think it's absurd. Government dictates how we should speak or write our language??? I'll stop here because I don't want to raise any controversy. Anyway, my point is unless you're a high school Korean teacher who was born and raised in Seoul or some TV news anchor, you won't know what the current rules are. So don't worry too much about it. Educated Koreans are all confused too, so much so that we have many TV programs that teach Korean to us native speakers. In case you study for a test, get a 맞춤법 or grammar book published recently.
  3. bonbon2023

bonbon2023 Senior Member

짜 맞추다(o) 짜맞추다(o)
    짜아(본동사) 맞추다(보조동사)
    짜아 is shortened into 짜 by 약음현상.

For orthography rule, refer to 한글맞춤법.