1. sierranevada New Member

English - California
    Buenos dias -
    Quise preguntar si hay algun termino en ingles para "el lonche" en el sentido usado por los mexicanos en los estados unidos que indica que es la compra de comida y ademas las necesidades del hogar, etc. He notado que no usan ese termino solamente para decir "lunch"! O sea, refiere a las compras semanales/mensuales de todas las necesidades de una familia o persona.
    Algun ejemplo seria, "yo pago la renta y el lonche".
    "I pay for the rent and the food" es lo que tengo, pero alguna sugerencia para alguna palabra mas adecuada que "food" en este sentido?
    Muchas gracias - y por favor, disculpenme la falta de acentos ya que no estan funcionando ahora :)

2. Chessia

Chessia Senior Member

El Salvador
    Spanish-English
    sería "to do the shopping" o the house shopping para referirse a las compras de la casa, pero no incliría a mi criterio, las necesidades de una eprsona, por lo que tendrías que complementar con personal needs o algo así.

3. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    Hi:
    Please bear in mind that NOT ALL Mexicans use the word "lonche" as the equivalent for groceries.
    Mexicans immigrants have diverse origins, and not all speak the same. Beware of generalizations.
    Our country is so big that there are huge difference of language even in a estate.
    By the way, "lonche" is a typically northern use Mexican word, coming form the English word lunch.
    According to the context you mention, how about groceries?
    Cheers

4. sierranevada New Member

English - California
    Ah, "groceries" - perfecto! It was on the tip of my tongue, but since I don't hear that word used all that much nowadays where I'm from in California, I couldn't think of it. (We would, in fact, say something closer to "doing the shopping":)) So... of course I know what you mean about regional speech differences, and wasn't intending to make any sort of generalization! I work for an immigration-advocacy nonprofit, at least 90% of our clients are from all different states in Mexico, and you're right, of course there are many linguistic differences, just as there are here in the US. In context of what I was translating it seemed apparent that that was the sense in which the source was using the term, and it being my first post I hadn't thought it was necessary to put in qualifiers like "I've heard some-people-from-some-parts-of-Mexico-now-living-in-the-western-United-States use this term this way", but I guess it's a good lesson in the sensitivity of a forum in which people take semantics seriously :) ... which is why it's such a great forum, I suppose! Until I saw this site I hadn't really found online "dictionary" sites and such to be very useful, so maybe that's the difference...

By the way, for my edification, what are some other terms used in Mexico for "groceries"? Also, does anyone know if there's a term in Spanish for a word "espanolizado" from English (or a different language) but used in a different sense than the original English word? I make this differentiation because the "Spanglish" I've grown up with in California often, though not always, tends to keep a similar meaning.

Thanks so much for the help!

5. Chessia

Chessia Senior Member

El Salvador
    Spanish-English
    comestibles (groceries). Españolizado, very spanish (has become). In bad english, it should be castilianized or something like that

6. Mariapalito Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    Colombia - Spanish & English
    La consulta original era "grocery shopping" y usar la palabra del inglés, como "lonche" es un anglicismo, Sierranevada. ¡Bienvenido!

7. Corintio44 Senior Member

Washington State, USA
    English (American)
    I noticed that "sierranevada" asked the following question in post #4 that wasn't answered:

"By the way, for my edification, what are some other terms used in Mexico for "groceries"?

I recommend the word "abarrotes." I also have heard the word "lonche" used here in the United States by Spanish-speakers when referring to "groceries." It is also used for "cold sandwich."

8. mirx Senior Member

Español
    I would expect all Mexicans (no hyphens) to understand the word "mandado" and "despensa" as to mean groceries. "Abarrotes" is a lot more technical and comestibles doesn't sound like something a mother would say, more like what a food industry technician would say in a conference.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. Corintio44 Senior Member

Washington State, USA
    English (American)
    "Abarrotes" is a common word in Mexico. In fact, "tienda de abarrotes" and "abarrotería" are used for grocery store (usually small) as opposed to a "supermercado."

"Hacer el mandado" can be = to go grocery shopping or to run errands.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  10. Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin Senior Member

Sí, pero aun así no decimos que compramos abarrotes, ni decimos tienda de abarrotes, sólo tienda y mucho menos abarrotería.

Fui a la tienda a comprar algunas cosas para preparar la cena.

A la compra de la despensa le decimos el mandado y no tiene nada que ver con hacer mandados (errands).

No puedo ir el sábado a comprar el mandado así que iré hasta el domingo.

11. Corintio44 Senior Member

Washington State, USA
    English (American)
    Janis Josplin tiene razón. Es correcto que hacer el mandado quiere decir: to go grocery shopping - y - hacer los mandados quiere decir to run errands. Junté las dos expresiones sin querer. Ahora, con respecto a las palabras "abarrotes" y "tienda de abarrotes las aprendí en la ciudad de México. Hay letreros en todas partes que emplean esta palabra. el mandado es lo que la mayoría de la gente usa, pero "abarrotes" es lo que usan muchos negocios. Pongo algunos ejemplos: (no sólo en el D.F.):

Esta página usa la palabra abarrotes muchisisísimas veces:

http://www.sidces.com/abarrotes-tie...dor-de-abarrotes-comercializador-de-abarrote/

http://www.kosher.com.mx/servicios_consulta2.php?v=6

https://foursquare.com/v/abarrotes-el-triunfo/4e2a5b29fa76bbf847cde422

http://www.google.com/search?q=tien..._BKjniAL8qdGmDg&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=649

12. mirx Senior Member

Español
    What she and I meant is that one doesn't say "voy a comprar abarrotes" (or maybe yes, as a joke) but you are right in saying that a grocery shop is in effect a "tienda de abarrotes" in México.