1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

comprehensive ranges

Discussion in 'English Only' started by BinWord, Feb 23, 2013.

1. BinWord Senior Member

Germany
    Turkish
    Dear English native speakers and linguists,

I have a text to edit in Turkish. But I have to understand what the source means first.

Context: Automotive

Here is the source:

QUALITY

These products are designed to perfectly match professional expectations. With quality as prime characteristics, our products are organized in comprehensive ranges which include all fast moving part numbers.
    These ranges are permanently renewed to match the present market needs and hence benefit from original equipment’s technical improvements.

Few things bother me in this sentence:

Firstly. why numbers? Can I ignore it, is it a typo or am I missing something here?
    My second question concern comprehensive ranges. What does that mean here?
    Can it mean ''various models''?

Thirdly, is the paragraph above a proper English? Would be great to hear your assesment...

Thank you all and best regards,

2. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    Comprehensive ranges means an extensive (and probably almost all-inclusive) choice of parts within a category. Part numbers refers to the fact that each part is identified by a number assigned either by the original manufacturer or some industry standard.

3. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Caution: Lazy math ahead.
    No, it's definitely not a typo. We would talk most naturally about "a range of numbers": the range has in it the numbers 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 - it's the range of numbers between 4 and 9.

A "comprehensive range" is a range that is comprehensive. It has all the stuff in it that it could possibly have. So I could say that {4, 6, 7, 9} is a range of numbers between 4 and 9, but it's certainly not as comprehensive as the range {4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}. We're dealing with this definition of "comprehensive":
    Your text gets a little bit confusing because it's discussing (or attempting to discuss) multiple different ranges of numbers. Can you give a sense of what the "products" are, and in particular what the phrase "fast moving parts" means? (Are these parts designed to move very fast as part of some kind of machine?) Obviously, the products are being grouped into different sets, but it is hard to figure out just how this grouping works from what you've given.

EDIT: MuttQuad is definitely much less tentative than I am in giving a reading of the sentence. I definitely understand the sentence in the same way that he does, though - I just wasn't as confident in my guess.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I, too, agree with Muttquad's explanation.

A side note: No, this is not well written. "With quality as prime characteristics" is odd, as is "permanently renewed." For the latter, I would expect something like "continually renewed."

I think that it is possible to understand the intended meaning, though the odd phrasing may make it more difficult to translate.

5. BinWord Senior Member

Germany
    Turkish
    Dear all,

thank you very much for your comments. So I think if I had read the text flatly I would have understood correctly.

Do you mean I can replace series with ranges in this context( I mean in the following sentence: These ranges are permanently renewed to match the present market needs and hence benefit from original equipment’s technical improvements.
    )?

Best regards,

Binnur

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. BinWord Senior Member

Germany
    Turkish
    Hi Lucas,
    It is an automotive industry. It deals with OEM products for aftersales programs. I think the fast moving parts are indeed parts that move fast while in use.

7. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    I should think this means 'all fast-selling numbered parts'.
    The point of saying this is to reassure the reader (presumably the buyer) that all the items in highest demand are included in the continual update system.
    This suffers from absence of the article. It ought to be:
    'benefit from technical improvements to the original equipment'

8. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    In the automotive OEM (And other industrial parts) industries, the use of "fast-moving" here clearly means fast-selling, not parts that operate at high speeds. This is common usage for any merchandise which sells very quickly.

9. BinWord Senior Member

Germany
    Turkish
    Dear Wandle and Muttquad,

thank you a lot for enlightening me! I was obviously on a very wrong track.

I will revise that part of the translation and if there is something that doesn't fit the flow of the sentence, I will ask further assistance.

Best regards, and have a good weekend to all!

10. BinWord Senior Member

Germany
    Turkish
    Dear Wandle, one more question. Your explanation is wonderful and as clear as day yet other native speakers did not seem to see that ''part numbers'' was not logical in this text. Does that mean that people in the industry use the terminology ''part numbers'' to define ''numbered parts'' or is it your interpretation of the sentence?

Sorry if I am digging too much. But I just don't want to leave anything ununderstood.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    It would be truer to say that the term 'part numbers' is used loosely to refer to the numbered parts.
    It is a typical expression.

12. BinWord Senior Member

Germany
    Turkish
    Dear wandle, great many thanks for this explanation!

13. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    You are very welcome.