comprehensive university

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Murphy, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    According to my Chinese author, in USA there are 5 types of university:

"..research university, university offering doctoral programs, comprehensive university, college offering bachelor degrees, and community college."

I assume from this that a "comprehensive university" is one that offers all kinds and levels of degree course (?). How would you translate this in Italian?

"Università comprensiva"?
    "Università che offre tutti i corsi" ?
    "Università generale" ?

Thanks

2. MAVERIK

MAVERIK Senior Member

Tuscany
    Italy Italian
    I like more "Università multifacoltà" , but it is the first thing that came in my mind. Wait also for other suggestion ans sorry for English.

3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Assuming that your Chinese mate is right, from what I know every Italian university offers all levels of degree course; I don't know what you mean with "kinds" though..

4. Lello4ever

Lello4ever Senior Member

Napoli
    Italia - Italiano
    Maybe "comprehensive university" is one offering both doctoral programs and bachelor degrees?

5. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    Ignore the word "kinds". Re-reading it, I think it's superfluous.

Universities in the UK also offer all levels of degree courses, so this is not a term that has much meaning for me. I'm actually guessing at what a "comprehensive university" is.

That is how I interpret it, too. The problem I have is how to translate it into Italian. I have to differentiate between this type of university and the others in the sentence.

Maverick: "università multifacoltà" would this describe a university which offers both bachelor degrees and doctorate programmes?

6. Lello4ever

Lello4ever Senior Member

Napoli
    Italia - Italiano
    Multifacoltà just means that there are several faculties. The problem is that it's hard to understand what this comprehensive stands for.

7. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    I think every Italian university offers both bachelor degrees and doctorate programmes..
    Am I wrong, guys?

8. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    I'm sure you're not wrong. The problem is that the text is comparing the system in the USA to the system in China. We are not talking about Italy, but I have to translate the terms so that they will mean something to any Italians who are brave enough to read this book:D.

My translation so far reads:
    "Negli Stati Uniti esistono cinque generi d'istituti terziari: l'università di ricerca, l'università che offre il dottorato, l'università comprensiva (????:(), l'università che offre solo corsi di laurea, e il community college."

I have left "community college" in English as previous threads have indicated that no such thing exists in Italy. Perhaps I should do the same with "comprehensive university". What do you think?:confused:

Edit: Ok, I've done what I should have done at the beginning. I've googled "comprehensive university".

From www.usuniversities.com

University Attributes: We are an independent, comprehensive university offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs and specialized courses.

Any suggestions?

9. DAH

DAH Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA/California--English
    I think the Chinese author has some/many things garbled with respect to research and doctoral universities; and, I've never heard of a comprehensive university.

Comprehensive as used above means that it represents to have a complete and full curriculum with regard to all the discplines, e.g., liberal arts, social sciences, science, technical, and industrial arts.

10. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    Based on this, I'm going to opt for Maverick's suggestion of "multifacoltà".

Thanks everyone:):)