compromise and release

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by indybird, May 25, 2011.

1. indybird Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA, USA
    English, USA
    Hola, compas,
    The other day I got sent out to do a C&R. Compromise and Release.
    I came up with "Acuerdo y Aceptación"...
    Is there an agreed upon solution for this out there?
    Gracias de antemano.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Fuser

Fuser Member

Es mejor decir "convenio de cesión de derechos".
  3. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Compromise & release = Compromiso y Liberación o Acuerdo y Cesión: Una clase de finalización donde usted recibe un pago global y se hace responsable por pagar su tratamiento médico futuro. Una finalización como esta tiene que ser aprobada por un juez de compensación de trabajadores.
    Most of the California government's information is available in Spanish too, conveniently for us.
  4. Fuser

Fuser Member

I'm not so good at this but I do not need this message to go out into the open.
    I just wanted to say I didn't understand if this was a response to MY comment or just an answer to the original question, because it had been sitting there for a long time but you answered only after I posted. In any case your answer in my estimation is not as self explanatory as the one I use although shorter.

In addition, your explanation is valid but this agreement is not limited to injured workers.

In response to: indybird:
    Acuerdo y acceptation is just redundant and leaves out the realse part. The whole key to this type of agreement and the only reason it's being offered is because of the RELEASE part. Release of course, of liability, of any futher liability. So, how is acceptation, release?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

That's the translation provided by the state of California.
  6. emosq001 Member

United States of America
    Mexican Spanish & American English
    Compromiso y Liberación o Acuerdo y Cesión
  7. Fuser

Fuser Member

So I thought we are supposed to improve translations. Your answer did not answer me. What am I supposed to say to you? "Oh well, if the State of CA says so..." There are all kinds of mistakes on that link! Aseguranza? Ajustador? Hmm, a bra strap, a bodice of some sort is going to handle my claim.

That language was translated probably in a hurry, a long time ago, by native English speakers, which, when combined with an under uneducated target group results in spanglish. An under educated person is not likely to stop everything and say, "hey wait a minute, it's not constipado, it's, estreñido! They'll just think, "Oh well I guess it means that too".

Even that website itself made sure to put the following disclaimer: "Estos son términos comunes que un trabajador lesionado puede encontrar durante un reclamo de compensación de trabajadores. Estas definiciones son generales y no están propuestas a que se usen como un guía legal."

Wording and grammar in itself atrocious!!

Yeah so the State of California is not a dictionary.

On the other hand, just to be fair, a hundred years from now, when linguists look for the Rosetta Stone of the largest spoken language in North America, Spanglish, they will look at this and laugh at me as some kind of Don Quixote (meaning of course that it was a losing battle). Sigh.