con razón...yo tengo descendencia española

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Flowertica, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Flowertica Member

Costa Rica, espanol
    traducir esto please
  2. kiro Senior Member

UK / English
    Hola, ahí va mi sugerencia:

"With good reason... I'm of Spanish descent"

3. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Con razon... yo tengo descendencia española
    With reason... I have Spanish descendants
  4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    I don't think that's the correct translation. I agree with Kiro's: "I am of Spanish descent."

"Descendents" would be descendientes and not descendencia.
  5. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Yah, yah, yah, I know .... I wrote it, posted it, then changed it. :D
    Thanks for the correction.
  6. Eugens

Eugens Senior Member

Argentina Spanish
    Hi!!! :)
    To say the truth, I'm a little confused. The original sentence in Spanish is a bit atypical. The usual thing to say is: "Tengo ascendencia española", "tengo ancestros españoles", when, for example, my great grandparents were Spanish, but I myself wasn't born in Spain.
    "Tengo descendencia española" would be commonly understood as "my children, grandchildren are Spanish".
    descendencia.(Del lat. descendens, -entis, descendiente).1. f. Conjunto de hijos, nietos y demás generaciones sucesivas por línea recta descendente.2. f. Casta, linaje, estirpe.
    Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

Unless here it means 2) "my lineage is Spanish" (?)
    I think the translations given mean "mi ascendencia es española"
    From WR's dictionary:
    descent [dɪ'sent] nombre
    1 descenso
    2 (origen) ascendencia

And what's the correct spelling? Descendent or descendant? Are both correct?
  7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Oops - it looks like you were right and I was wrong, Venus. :) I guess descendencia and descendientes are synonyms.

The correct spelling in English is descendant, I believe.
  8. Camui Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Sí eso iba a decir.

La frase en español está mal. Debería ser "Tengo asendencia española" o "Soy descendiente de españoles"
  9. QUIJOTE Senior Member

Also, if you want to translate literately "con razon" yes it's "with reason" but to give it the correct meaning you should use "no wonder".
  10. araceli moderadora

Buenos Aires
    Argentine, Spanish
    Coincido con los otros foreros: esascendencia española.
    Salvo que la persona se esté refiriendo a que tiene hijos y/o nietos
    españoles, ¿no?
    Es un error muy común poner descendencia en vez de ascendencia.
  11. Eugens

Eugens Senior Member

Argentina Spanish
    I asked whether both spellings were correct because I found this:
    de·scen·dent also de·scen·dant (dĭ-sĕn'dənt)
    Moving downward; descending.
    Proceeding by descent from an ancestor.

But I only found one dictionary saying this (, I didn't find any other confirming it. The others say that the only spelling is "descendant".

So, the conclusion is that "descendant" (and maybe "descendent"as well?) and "descendiente" are synonymous, but "descent"means "ascendencia". It seems that English doesn't have a collective abstract word to talk about all descendants, it doesn't have a literal translation of "descendencia", does it? ("offspring" doesn't mean the same, does it?) So, we have to translate "descendencia"as "descendants" (literally "descendientes").
  12. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    I would definitely go with descendant, even if the other spelling is technically correct.

As for synonyms of descendencia, they do indeed exist: you could say posterity or progeny.
  13. Eugens

Eugens Senior Member

Argentina Spanish
    Thank you!
  14. nikvin Senior Member

UK/France English/French/Spanish
    descendant noun
    descendent adj

sometimes one also finds descendant as a variant in adj form

"there is ( says my dictionary) a clear distinction between the noun descendamnt "offspring" and the adjective descendent "moving downwards,though it it is easy to confuse the two in spelling"
    but this is quite an old dictionary, and common useage, which often starts by mis-spellings, mis-pronunciatiuons, does force change , so perhaps both are fully acceptable in either form or just one spelling will in time prevail.

descent would mean de ascendencia, but dont forgent it also means descenso

posterity technically may mean all of a person´s descendants, but realistically is usually used to refer to mean the future. Lineage ( refers tone s family lines ( could be up or down) and might be better.
    Offspring should refer to all descended from, but useage tends to imply just the actual children and not further generations.
  15. Green&Blue Senior Member

Uruguay - Spanish
    Por favor, cómo la complicaron aqui! Yo me quedé sin entender...
    Si yo quiero decir:
    I am fond of the English language on account of my father's family who came from or were born in England. ¿Cómo lo diríamos en inglés de forma correcta y mejor redactada? Gracias!!!!!! Es una duda que siempre surge....
  16. Musiklover New Member

Miami, Florida, USA
    USA, English/Espanish

I don't see anything wrong with that sentence, except for the following:
    "my father's family who came from or were born in England." Even though a family has several members, it is a unit, a single noun; therefore, using were creates a problem with subject-verb agreement, problem which can be easily solved just by replacing were with was, a singular verb that agrees with the singular subject "my father's family."

"my father's family who came from England" or "my father's family who was born in England."
  17. Green&Blue Senior Member

Uruguay - Spanish
    Thank you very much musiklover, for correcting me. I will always remember now that family is a single/singular noun and should be used with a corresponding singular verb. Very useful point. I think that in Spanish we use it in the same way:
    la famila de mi padre, que provenía de España; or
    la familia de mi padre que había nacido en España, instead of "que habían nacido en España"..

Thank you,:)

All the discussion below is interesting also... (but complicated...)
  18. Musiklover New Member

Miami, Florida, USA
    USA, English/Espanish
    I think so, too, Green&Blue. I must admit, though, that I'm a bit more familiar with academic language in English, than I am in Spanish. But, I think you're right. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Have a great day!
  19. ORL Senior Member

Yo lo que quisiera saber es si lo que quieres decir es que eres descendiente de españoles, porque en ese caso deberías decir:

"tengo ascendencia española", es decir que tus padres, abuelos, etc. son/eran españoles. O bien "soy descendiente de españoles".

"tengo descendencia española" es que tus hijos y los hijos de tus hijos, etc. son españoles...

Ese es el uso que se da a los términos por aquí, aunque suele haber confusiones con ellos, de ahí la pregunta.
  20. Green&Blue Senior Member

Uruguay - Spanish
    Thank you Musiklover and have a great day or a great night, jaja!!! (because here it's already past 10 p.m. :) )

ORL, I understand your explanation, but my problem was with the best way to say it in English...
    "Soy descendiente de ingleses por parte de la familia de mi padre..."
    Como es difícil para mi traducir esa fracesita al inglés, le di la vuelta y puse:
    I am fond of the English language on account of my father's family who came from or was born in England.

Me gustaría tener la facilidad para decirlo en inglés de la manera que pongo en negrita....
    Me anoté el link que figura abajo de a ver si lo entiendo mejor...
    The best for you, txu
  21. ORL Senior Member

"I´m of English descent on/from (I´ve seen both being used in this case) my father´s side"
    "My father´s of English descent/lineage"
    "My predecessors/ancerstors were English (on/from my father´s side)"