1. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Est-ce que ce mot-ci est toujours offensant? Il y en a plusieurs traductions - "cunt", "bastard", mais aussi "idiot". Peut-on dit "Quel con, toi!" a un ami qui, par exemple, a laisse tomber quelquechose? Merci d'avance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Ah!! we could spend hours talking about this word.

It can be offensive: ce mec est vraiment con: this guy is really stupid.
    You can use it when you're angry at somenone: espèce de pauvre con!
    But it can also be positive, for exmample when talking about someone saying something funny but not particularly politically correct:
    "t'es con, tu sais" (but that was funny!)
    I think it can even be affectionate: stupid but in a good way:
    ce film est trop con (mais je l'ai adoré).

I hope it helped you. I think you will receive lots of different opinions that may be more helpful than this one.

I forgot to say that it depends on the way you say it, if you're serious (là, c'est offensant) or if you smiling ("ah, you're doing stupid things sometimes but I like you my friend!")

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  3. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Thanks, Prudence. That is really useful. So it never corresponds to the deeply offensive word cunt in English? [...]

4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

It sometimes does but much less than it used to. Nowadays it would sound a little bit like 18th century erotic literature, in that sense. (Marquis de Sade and all that stuff).

5. Nath0811

Nath0811 Senior Member

California, USA
    France - Français
    [...] the word con also designates in mostly older litterature the female's genitalia. Although not used verbally these days, you might read it in some books - and it's not a insult then. ;)

6. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    If you travel to the South-West of France (in the Toulouse area), you might hear "con" very often in popular language, used as a punctuation mark.
    It's not intended to be offensive, but just to give more weight to a sentence. :)
    For instance:
    -"Qu'est-ce qu'il fait chaud, con !".
    -"Oh oui, con."

But be careful: if a non-native speaker (detected by his lack of accent) uses it, it will be considered as offensive.

7. Amityville

Amityville Senior Member

France
    English UK
    So, it's tagged on a bit like "quoi" but affirmatively. I'm now imagining some Toulousian conversations.
    Mais je fais attention - merci pour l'astuce, con - (no offense).

8. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    I rarely use the word con (OK, perhaps to describe somebody who cuts me off in traffic :( ), but I use conneries often, as in Ces politiciens, c'qu'ils en racontent, des conneries!

9. cassoulet Senior Member

toulouse, french
    [...]As olivierG noticed, be very careful with the use of "con": in many cases it can be heard as offensive or affective depending on the intonation, the pronunciation or even the accent !

10. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    I can never understand why, considering the amount of swearing that goes on in English these days, how the English word cunt has still such force,so that I write it here with some trepidation, whereas its French cognate con is comparatively anaemic. I have seen the French word as part of a title on a record sleeve, and more recently it was in the title of a major French comedy "La Fête des Cons", I think it was called, in which each of a band of buddies has to bring an idiot to a special dinner and wins if his guest is voted le plus con. The story ends up with the biter bit.

11. MarcVesper New Member

English - Liverpool, England
    My french girlfriend suggested that french words carry less weight than the way they are stressed an dintoned in conversation, in comparison to english words. She cites that word censorship (for example, as found in UK watershed censorship on TV and radio) would seem comical in france, because words themselevs do not carry innate power in the same way. Certainly, even as with time and familiarity, a word like 'fucker' gets closer and closer to 'con' in losing its punch, there's still something very stomach-churning about 'cunt' in english that is independent of its usage. Obviously this is an acquired taboo, but I'm not sure the same parallel exists in words in modern French.

I like the idea of the theory, it seems to back up what I've seen living in Paris for 5 years - lots of politeness, lots of harmless swearing with very little real offence given. :)

12. Aristide Senior Member

france, french
    As an adjective, "con" means stupid.
    For example: J'ai été con = I've been stupid.

But as a noun, it can mean 2 different things :
    1. a stupid person
    2. someone you disapprove of, someone not cool, a nasty person...
    3. or it can mean something intermediate between 1 and 2

So, the meaning of the word isn't very precise.

I think it's the same as "jerk" in English.
    According to the WordReference dictionary:
    Jerk = (obnoxious man) salaud / (stupid) crétin

If you call someone a "gros con", it means that you disapprove of him for some reason, not necessarily stupidity.

13. 1220betsy Junior Member

English, USA
    Alors, selon vous, serait-il approprié/acceptable d'écouter une chanson avec le mot "con" dans le titre dans ma classe de lycéens? (Je suis prof.) Il me semble que je vois le mot "con" partout, mais évidemment j'ai peur de leur enseigner quelque chose de trop vulgaire.

Conseils? Opinions?
    Merci!

(Je pense à la chanson "Jeune et Con" pour être précise.)

14. philfree Senior Member

French
    Dans le contexte de cette chanson ce n'est pas du tout vulgaire.
    D'ailleurs on associe souvent "jeune et con" pour dire de façon familière en fait "jeune et naïf" (c'est un peu l'esprit de con dans ce sens là).
    Tout dépend en fait du contexte pour cet adjectif.

15. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Jeune et con is no stronger than Young and stupid. Of course you can teach it in your class!

16. chloeelisabeth New Member

English, USA
    From what I've been able to tell, the word "con" can have a lot of different meaning that range from casual to vulgar. Would you say that it is a swear word all the same, or does it depend? For example, let's say you're in a high school theatre class, and you're putting on a skit that includes a character who is a little bit nasty. Would this be a word that you could possibly use in front of a teacher in such a case (I know it depends on the teacher, but let's say they have a fairly strict "no cussing" policy)
    I was listening to a song (Je Suis Un Homme, Zazie) that goes like this:
    "Je suis le roi de l'illusion
    Au fond, qu'on me pardonne
    Je suis le roi
    Le roi des cons"

Would you say it is a swear word or being used vulgarly in this case?

17. Traducteur99 Junior Member

United Kingdom
    English - England
    Con is a very vulgar word. It's translation is a bit dodgy however if one were to give it a translation, I would give it 'cunt' or 'fucking idiot'

In modern day French, youths (like myself:cool:) would say:

'Ah je suis con moi' or 'T'es vrai con toi'

Something to express how idiotic someone is. That's how I view it anyway after being surrounded by a bunch of French youths for a lot of the time.

18. chloeelisabeth New Member

English, USA
    So, it would be kind of like how cunt is used in Britain? Offensive, but casually offensive? (I'm American so forgive me if I'm a little bit unclear on how you would use cunt lol)

19. UpNSmoKe Junior Member

France
    French
    Le mot "con" est vulgaire ; it is definitely a swearword.

L'Académie Française le définit ainsi : "Fig. et très vulg. Personne sottement passive, imbécile, idiote. Bien que cet emploi figuré apparaisse dans les correspondances littéraires dès le XIXe siècle et que l'usage parlé s'en soit fort répandu, ne doit être employé que dans une intention de vulgarité appuyée."

Traducteur99 made a mistake : in France we say "T'es vraiment con toi !"

20. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Or "T'es un vrai con(, toi)!" [I suppose if you know someone well enough to use the familiar form of address with them, you'd know whether they'd be offended by the use of "con".] I don't think it's used very often with its original meaning today, more like 'asshole' (for a person, not anatomically!) - again, a question of whom you're talking (or writing) to. If you want your interlocuter to know that you're not attacking them personally, you could specify, "Ne trouves-tu pas que tu t'es comporté un peu comme un con, là?" But remember, I'm not a Francophone.

21. UpNSmoKe Junior Member

France
    French
    Dans tous les cas, "con" est vulgaire.

22. Traducteur99 Junior Member

United Kingdom
    English - England
    Yes, my mistake, I meant to add the ment on the end, I was tired :confused:

I must object here, out of all the times I have spoken to French people, I have never heard an un being used. Any other Frenchies agree?

23. UpNSmoKe Junior Member

France
    French
    "T'es un vrai con" and "T'es vraiment con" are both correct. They mean the same thing; the only difference being that one is an noun, the other an adjective.

24. In Absentia Senior Member

UK English
    For the Francophones and confused Americans out there, I think con is a word that is bandied about a lot more in France than cunt is in Britain. Even if cunt doesn't have the power here that it does elsewhere in the Anglo world, I wouldn't advise using it, except amongst really close friends who have already previously uttered it.

Cunt isn't synonymous with stupid. If I say to a friend, "Oh you cunt" it's like saying "Oh you absolute bastard" or "Don't be a cunt" means "Stop being annoying/arsey". It could be an in-joke between me and my friends or it could be that I'm really annoyed but I wouldn't say these things to a casual acquaintance.

If you really have to insult your nearest and dearest, I'd opt for tit (un nichon), no one really minds tit don't say teat though. If anyone questioned it, you could say you thought it meant a stupid little bird.

You're a proper tit = you're really stupid

25. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    I agree, nowadays the vulgarity of "con" will be driven by the tone of the voice, and by the rest of the sentence. For instance, when one of your friend make a stupid joke or prank, you can say "t'es con" while laughing, without him being offended.

However, using offensive words in a non-offensive way is very sensitive. It's not a good idea to try it if you aren't a native, unless you have spent 10 years in full immersion...

It can be used in a casual way but remains nonetheless a curse-word, so in case of non-cursing policy, you should definitively ask for permission, to be sure it can be allowed as a song quote for instance.