conclude with a note of poignancy

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sjonger, May 4, 2012.

1. Sjonger Senior Member

Netherlands
    Dutch - Netherlands
    Dear forum members,

I can't find the meaning of the expression ´a note of poignancy´.

The context is an article about Europeras 3 & 4 by John Cage, and I have quoted the phrase in which it occurs:

"While the phonographic excerpts will change from performance to performance, the pianist concludes the work with a note of poignancy when he plays Liszt’s transcription of Wagner’s ‘Oh du mein holder Abendstern’ from Tannhäuser in its entirety."

I thought of ´leaving behind a strong impression on the audience´, or ´making a statement´, or ´stressing one´s point´. And of course I also wondered if maybe in this musical context the word 'note' should be taken literally, but I doubt that, for I can't imagine the German Song (O, you lovely evening star) ending in a sharp note.

Thank you all for your help.

2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I think all of the ways you understand it are correct. Is this about prepared piano?

3. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
  4. Sjonger Senior Member

Netherlands
    Dutch - Netherlands
    Thanks se16teddy and perpend.

se16teddy: it's not about a prepared piano, that is not in this particular Cage-piece. I think in this work the piano is played in the traditional way.

5. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
  6. Sjonger Senior Member

Netherlands
    Dutch - Netherlands
    Actually it's about Europeras 3 & 4. They will be performed in The Holland Festival.