1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Concupiscentia

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by tlgrande, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tlgrande New Member

Norwegian - Bokmål
    I'm trying to create a motto for the musical organisations as my university, and I'm basing it on the old phrase "wine, women and song".
    I've replaced "wine" with "beer", which makes for a nice alliteration with "canticum" and "cervisiam", so I wanted the last word to begin with a C as well. I also wanted something more gender-neutral (we have two male and two female choirs, as well as a mixed marching band), so I wanted to go with some term for lust/desire, rather than a specific reference to women or men.

I found "concupiscentia", which seems to fit the bill somewhat, but the definitions I've found seem to lean towards all kinds of earthly desires, rather than specifically carnal ones. There are references to lust in the definitions, but only en par with all kinds of other desire and greed. However, my sources have been limited to online English-language definitions, since most dictionaries do not cover semantics at any great depth.

I would really appreciate if anyone could explain the denotations and connotations of the word "concupiscentia" to me, and if it doesn't have the meaning I'm going for, I would be very grateful for any other suggestions you may be able to come up with. (I also know about "cupido", but I would rather avoid using that, as it's the name of a lad's mag in my country, and I'd like to avoid those connotations.)

Thank you!

2. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
  3. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings

And with all respect to both contributors, neither concupscentia nor cupiditas will quite do. The theme of "Wein, Weib und Gesang" is fundamentally cheerful, and both these Latin words have negative nuances. If it must alliterate, then carmen, cervisia, Cupido in reference to the mischievous infant archer might do, at least for a male voice choir. (But what would think the sopranos and altos in your ensemble about that?). merum, mulier, musica (in chosen order of priority) might also do the trick.

Σ