Condonar una deuda

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Alexa95, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Alexa95 Member

Perú - Español
    Field and topic:

Por favor, ayúdenme con este término. He buscado en algunos diccionarios jurídicos y no encuentro un término exacto. En algunos aparece condone, cancel, release, etc, pero no creo que sean muy precisos.

Existe el término "condonation"? o mejor dicho, se suele usar este término?

Sample sentence:
    Las pérdidas puede resarcirse, por ejemplo, con el reintegro de esas pérdidas, o bien, condonando deudas que la sociedad pudiese tener frente a ellos.

2. LauraPV Senior Member

yo he encontrado to abate también.

3. joeydi New Member

Raleigh, NC, USA
    English, USA
    Hola. Acabo de ver su pregunta.

Para traducir "condonar una deuda," creo que es mejor decir "to forgive a debt." Uno puede decir "to remit a debt", pero "remit" tiene otros sentidos tambien, que son mas comunes.

Yo prefiero evitar "remit" en este sentito, para evitar confusion. De la otra mano, "remit" es el termino que se usa en las tribunales donde yo trabajo, para significar que el juez opta por no imponer una penaldad monetaria que usualmente impone; "I will remit the court costs" = "Voy a condonar los costos procesales." Entonces, a veces estoy obligado a usar "remit" en este sentido.

Es posible tambien decir "to cancel a debt", pero "cancel" significa la terminacion de la deuda por cualquier medio: Por pagar, por disculpa, etc. Es decir, "cancel" tiene el sentido mas amplio.

"To condone" usualmente tiene que ver con la aprobacion de la conducta de una persona.
    No tiene nada que ver con lo de condonar una deuda. Tal vez en al pasado se applicaba asi, pero ahora tiene el sentido menos amplio.

4. dauda98 Senior Member

United States
    I have seen remit used more for taxes, debts, or damages. But honestly, here in the US it is not commonly used. More common is "to waive". For example, with regards to the reference made about court costs, the Judge here in the US would say "we will waive the court costs."

With debts, you usually "cancel a debt". With loans you "absorb a loan". With rent you "forgive a rent". With money that a companies is expecting to receive but never do, you "write it off".

Now as for abate, I've always heard it to mean to postpone the payments for a later time.
  5. joeydi New Member

Raleigh, NC, USA
    English, USA
    Hello dauda 98.

I wish our judges would "forgive", costs of court rather than "remit" them; it would create less confusion for some people. Like you, I think of "remit" as meaning to pay. which is the more common use. As to "waive," it's been shown that some, and perhaps many, native English speakers don't understand its use in court, but the system continues to use it.

I notice that your profile says you're a court interpreter, so please allow me to ask: When the judge says he/she will waive some cost or fee, do you have a preferred translation? I don't, and I usually dance around it by saying "No habrán costos" or "El juez le puso costos" or something like that.

As to "abate", you may wish to check a couple of dictionaries. It has several related meanings, mostly related to lessening or diminishing, but the idea of postponing doesn't seem to be there at all. It also has some technical legal meanings that most people, including myself, don't know well.
  6. dauda98 Senior Member

United States
    Well, I noticed that you are an attorney and therefore I think there is no need for me to explain that abate is often used in court to mean to stay (ie. abate a case = have it suspended and resumed at a later date if necessary). So no, I don't think I need to look it up in a dictionary. That was the meaning that came to my mind when I read Alexa's post. However, I do apologize for not having remembered the other meaning.
  7. joeydi New Member

Raleigh, NC, USA
    English, USA
    Actually, you did teach me something new. I don't recall having seen or heard "abate" used to mean to have a case suspended and resumed at a later date if necessary.

It may indeed be common (as are many things that I don't know!), but I wonder if it is actually a peculiarity of the jurisdiction where you work, just as "remitting" court costs appears to be a peculiarity of the North Carolina courts.

The US may be a single country, but legal terminology is not entirely standardized among the states. Far from it.

8. Binky

Binky Member

English (USA)
    Well well, very interesting debate;fast and furious as they say! Too bad I got here a month later (while looking for a way to say 'quitar' en el sentido de 'condonar' and thanks for the idea of forgiving a debt / writing off a debt, both of which sound just right in this case) BUT... as to the debate about "abate"... are we talking about "abate" as to: reduce, fade away, diminish, or "abeyance": to put in a state of suspension? I looked them both up in a legal terminology dictionary... oh yeah, and as to waive - have you tried 'renunciar'? That's how I've translated waive in Mexico... in the case of someone waiving their rights... guess it might not work with court costs...
  9. joeydi New Member

Raleigh, NC, USA
    English, USA
    Hey Binky. As to "waive," I normally use "renunciar." I can't think of any purpose for which I don't translate "waive" as "renunciar". Actually, it's been shown that quite a few English speakers actually don't know what "waive" means in court, and they just go along and sign the waivers. In this respect, the Spanish-speaker who hears "renunciar" from the court interpreter probably is better situated than his English speaking counterpart in the same courtroom.

As to "abate", the discussion has made me more alert. I recall seeing it used as "an action is abated when such-and-such happens", meaning that a legal claim is essentially abolished, or a right is lost. When I saw that, I realized that I'd seen it in law school too. I guess that's an old, old word that's developed a variety of meanings over the centuries. I admit I don't know them all. The fact that my books don't state them all, signals to me that I should avoid using it when I can use something less ambiguous.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Joe Dipierro