conectores: por otro lado

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by CeciW, Nov 11, 2005.

1. CeciW Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    argentina, castellano
    esta es mi primer consulta en este foro, espero q puedan ayudarme.
    alguien sabria decirme como se dice "por otro lado" en ingles?
    porque "on the other hand" suena a q solo hay dos posibilidades (por un lado, por el otro lado) pero si tengo mas d una posibilidad que puedo poner?
  2. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    How about some people think x, whereas others think y; meanwhile some people think z.
  3. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    Se puede usar "on the other hand" con muchas posibilidades. Es la única traducción de por otro lado.
  4. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    But what do we say if it is .. how to say it best? ..three or more handed? On the one hand and on the other only gives you two, supposing there are more alternatives? For the life of me I can't think of a snappy way of saying this.

I just know this is going to be another of those threads where I find myself talking it over to the dog. I so need to get out more!
  5. jacinta Senior Member

USA English
    Ok, now I'm completely confused. You're right. When would we say "on the other hand" when we are giving multiple options? in English or in Spanish? So, I guess I should change my answer to "No". After thinking about it, I think we would only use it in an either/or situation. Do you agree??
  6. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Hi people:
    Having only two hands is not the problem. The actual problem was that the expression hasn't been translated properly. On the other hand implies only two options because it is mainly main used to contrast two things or people, whereas por otro lado has nothing to do with contrasts; it just adds some information which may not be related to the point under discussion (El presidente del Banco Central afirmó que la economía ha mejorado en los últimos dos años. Por otro lado, dijo que la tasa de interés subirá de 3% a 3.2%, you see? no contrast between the economic situation and the inflation. Another example: Me gusta ir a la costa y poder nadar por horas en el mar; por otro lado me encanta ir al campo y alimentar los animales cada mañana) Unfortunately, despite the fact that I know what CeciW wants to express, the English expression for por otro lado escapes me at the moment (as soon as I remember it, I'll let you know) Greetings

7. Bambino

Bambino Member

San Diego, CA, USA
    Hello all, I don't think the use of "on the other hand" strictly confines one to merely two options, on the other hand, I've heard using idioms without care is risky business, but then I've also heard most people could care less. Have I just erred?

8. CeciW Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    argentina, castellano
    como dice gonzalo, el significado de por otro lado no se corresponde estrictamente con el de on the other hand... a mi tb se me escapa la expresion en ingles d esto, pero se q existe...
    de todas maneras podria usar whereas o meanwhile, como sugirio jacinta.
  9. Andygs New Member

Madrid (Spain)
    Spanish and English (Spain)
    Se puede utilizar "otherwise" para decir "por otro lado". De hecho, el diccionario lo traduce como "por lo demás". También se pueden utilizar otros conectores como in addition, moreover o furthermore, si lo único que se pretende es añadir información que no guarda relación con lo anterior.
  10. Andygs New Member

Madrid (Spain)
    Spanish and English (Spain)
    También valdría "besides that"
  11. EscoDMV New Member

U.S. English
    My boss likes to use this one a lot in business emails. I think I usually wind up translating it as "Also" or "Additionally" ...although I don't think this frase translates well. It's really just filler, and depends a lot on the context.
  12. melissa_cbueno New Member

this is my first time here and i don't know how to use this. what does "leveling off" mean and how can i say it in other words?
  13. Baker St Regular New Member

You could say "Then again..." between thoughts.

You could also link with "On the other hand," and then link the next thought with "But, then again, ..." or "However, ..."

'However' is a very useful word, and is comparable to the phrase 'then again'. You have choices.
  14. dolsson New Member

Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Recuerda, en inglés a veces decimos: "On the one hand ...." "On the other hand ...." y "On the third hand ...." Es gracioso pero es también útil. :p
  15. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    Third hand? That's a new one to me.
  16. workingonit Senior Member

English - American
    "Alternatively, ..." would be a good translation; it carries no suggestion of preference, but simply means that another option exists.

You could also say "Another option would be ... "

An alternative would be "An alternative would be ..." (or, in introducing a third option, "Another alternative would be ..."

Attempting to translate "Por otro lado, ..." as "Otherwise, ..." would give the sense of "Si no, ..."

"Also" or "Additionally" would refer to employing both options rather than choosing between them.

"Then again, ..." and "However, ..." imply possible problems with the first option.

"But then again, ..." this corresponds to "Alternatively, ..." and simply indicates that another option exists.
  17. tara01 New Member

English- US
    Very often, "por otro lado", as has already been mentioned, is used as a filler - Spanish writing is often full of connectors and fillers which makes the English text difficult to read. When it isn't used to contrast elements (on the other hand), or to add more information (moreover, in addition), it's usually best to take it out of the sentence completely - there will be no loss of meaning.
  18. rcgy

rcgy Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    USA English / Peru Spanish
    I'm with tara01 on this. I'd use additionally or omit it altogether.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  19. Forgind Senior Member

also? Comment on the comment: greetings can only be at the beginning, not the end.