confirm / verify / validate

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dancediva1, Dec 22, 2008.

1. dancediva1 New Member

USA - Spanish/English
    Hello,

Wondering what's the difference when using each of these words when asking the following? and if asking this question by email do you include the address already on file or wait for the person to reply with info?

Can you confirm/verify/validate your address?

Thanks!

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I wouldn't use "validate". It has a slight tone of being suspicious. We often use "validate" to mean "justify". "Confirm" would be my choice because it's a very neutral word. I see no reason not to say something like:

"Our records show your e-mail address to be xxxxx@xxx.xx. Would you please confirm that this is correct"

(or something to that effect).

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In asking someone to confirm, verify or validate their address you are asking that they look at the version you have. It would be rather discourteous to do that without listing your version.

I don't think there is a great deal of difference between confirm, verify and validate in this instance. If asked to do any of them I would look at the address and report any necessary changes.

Oh, you mean e-mail address?
    In that case the question is a bit silly in an e-mail.
    It's a bit like "Please let me know if you don't receive this letter."
    (If the e-mail address is not correct the e-mail will not arrive.)

If you are writing a normal letter that may well be delivered even if the address is a little bit wrong, the question makes some sense.