Confundibilidad de marcas

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Zahella, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Zahella Senior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    Hola: ¿Cómo puedo traducir esto al inglés?

"En material de propiedad industrial, son escasas las reglas con valor permanente para concluir en la confundibilidad de marcas".

2. Zahella Senior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    Bueno, no recibí respuesta, pero... pude averiguarlo finalmente.

Para quien le pueda ser útil en el futuro: "likelihood of confusion" es la traducción para "confundibilidad", por lo que pude averigüar.

3. walpace

walpace Senior Member

Spanish - Colombia
    Hola Zahella!

Me sirvió hoy tu comentario, gracias por el interés en contribuir a los foros Compatriota.

God bless you.

4. David Senior Member

In the field of industrial property, there are but few rules of a permanent nature to guide in the resolution of trademark-infringement disputes based on similarity of tradenames.
  5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    The original text no doubt has an error: industrial property should be intellectual property.

For confundibilidad de marcas, I like the phrase "likelihood of confusion" which is a common term of art in trademark law. It's not clear to me that the sentence is going beyond resolving the issue of likelihood of confusion to resolving infringement disputes.

In US law, it would be uncommon to say "rules of a permanent nature." Perhaps that could be replaced with "hard and fast rules."

So I would probably opt for:

"In the field of intellectual property, there are few hard and fast rules to resolve the question of likelihood of confusion."

But this is more a guess on my part that that writer meant to say what I think he should have said!

By the way, for US law, there is a difference between trade names and trademarks. Trade names can be trademarks, but not all trade names are, and only trademarks can be registered with the US PTO.