1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Congratulation for Eid (an islamic festival)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Qadri, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Qadri Senior Member

Urdu
    Hi,

Do the following sentences sound natural to you people?

Congratulations of Eid to all the Muslims.

Congratulations to all the Muslims of Eid.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Congratulations to all Muslims on the occasion of Eid Al-Adha.

3. Qadri Senior Member

Urdu
    Is it fine to use Congratulate in the above sentence?

What would be the best to use, "Happy Eid Al-Adha to all" or "Congratulations to all Muslims on the occasion of Eid Al-Adha."?

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Yes, it's fine to use "congratulations" or I wouldn't have offered it. :)

You can use either of your suggestions, or both, depending on who you're sending it to. Happy is more casual; Congratulations is more formal.

5. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I would avoid "congratulations", just a personal preference.

Maybe "Best wishes for Eid-Al-Adha".

6. Qadri Senior Member

Urdu
  7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    We congratulate people on things they have accomplished, so we don't say 'congratulations' in holiday greetings. We give them good wishes and hope they will enjoy the holiday.

I just remembered: We have some threads in our Celebrations forum in which people give good wishes for Eid. If you look at these, you will see examples of how it is done in English. :)
    Happy Ramadan ! رمضان كريم ... and a happy Eid al-fitr

Happy Eid al-Adha

(If you want to see more, search the Celebrations forum for "Eid". The Celebrations forum is under the Cultural Discussions forum.)

Cross-posted.

8. Qadri Senior Member

Urdu
    I have already searched it and then I asked , but still I am confuse as Copyright is saying its fine to say with Congratulate but you two, Cagey and Perpend are saying something different.

So, can any one of you elaborate it further to nullify my confusion? Please..:(

9. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I think we have different opinions.

As you saw in the other thread, many people would use congratulations for something you did, but not for holidays. (For instance, we even say 'Congratulations' on someone's birthday, because they lived so long, I guess.) But I wouldn't say Congratulations on Thanksgiving, which is an American holiday.

For the most part, people will understand that you mean well, no matter what you say. We are only talking about the words, and how we think we use them.

10. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It's true that in the west we don't congratulate for holidays, but that's not true everywhere, which is why I offered my congratulatory suggestion.

Somaliland Sun
    Somaliland: President Silanyo Extends Eid Al-Adha Congratulations to All Muslims
    President Silanyo said, "on my own behalf, that of various national councils, and the citizens of this country, hereby congratulate all Muslims and specifically Somalilanders wherever they during this auspicious Eid Al-Adha celebrations."

Saudi Arabia Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    King, Crown Prince Address Muslims on Eid Al-Adha
    On behalf of the King and the Crown Prince, Minister of Culture and Information Iyad bin Ameen Madani read their address on Saudi Radio and Television. The following is the text of the address:
    We congratulate the Muslim nation on the occasion of Eid Al-Adha.

Caspio Net
    Muslims in Kazakhstan to celebrate Eid al-Adha
    Prominent statesmen, artists and foreign ambassadors congratulated Muslims in Kazakhstan on the eve of their major festival of Eid al-Adha.

Ishtar Broadcasting Corporation
    Congratulations from the Popular Council on Eid al-Adha
    On the occasion of Eid al-Adha, we congratulate all the Muslims in Iraq and in the Kurdistan Region in particular and the whole world ...

That's enough, I think. :) But there are many more examples on Google. I think it depends on who you are and where you live -- I still think that you will hear the "congratulatory" message from officials and in formal greetings, while "Happy" is for just us folks.

11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think most of the time we won't use congratulations with holiday greetings - unless perhaps you are focussing on something that the hearer has done, or perhaps the holiday commemorates something achieved. I think in the context of the Eid, you might say congratulations if you want to focus on how someone has achieved the Ramadan fast for the Eid ul-Fitri or you want to remember how Abraham (Ibrahim) was obedient when he was tested in the case of the Eid ul-Adha. Most of the time, though, I would expect the greeting to be 'Happy Eid!'

(Sometimes though 'happy' might not work. We don't say 'Happy Good Friday', for example, because Good Friday marks the death of Jesus, so what is celebrated or commemorated is significant too.)

12. Qadri Senior Member

Urdu
    Actually I asked it regarding to you people not others, anyways it was really nice to have a detailed discussion on it. Thanks a lot:).

13. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  14. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I agree with Cagey and natkretep. I don't think those examples make it idiomatic, or natural, Copyright, in "normal English".

15. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    As I said, it depends on who's saying it and the audience, which those examples show. I acknowledged "Happy Eid Al-Adha to all" back in post 4 and I'm not here with a particular preference or agenda ... so please use whatever pleases you.

16. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    There are several useful phrases on this page, in which the UK Prime Minister sends Eid greetings: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-ministers-eid-al-adha-message “On this holy festival of Eid al-Adha I send my warmest wishes to Muslims in the UK and across the world."
    “Let me wish everyone peace, happiness and unity during this special time and say Eid Mubarak.”