1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

congratulations to a bride

Discussion in 'English Only' started by azuki, Jan 17, 2010.

1. azuki Senior Member

Japanese
    Hello there,

It is said that saying “congratulations” to a bride (or a bride-to-be) is not appropriate. I learned so in school.
    But, in some U.S. TV programs (or English programs), I saw a few people saying “Congratulations” to a bride-to-be. Is it now acceptable for people?

Thank you.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Classic etiquette -- meaning what I was taught -- is that you say Congratulations to the groom and Best wishes to the bride. You do not congratulate the bride (and I still don't), for it is the groom who is to be congratulated on his good fortune.

After writing these words, I looked for what Miss Manners might say and found it here.

3. azuki Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you for your comment, Copyright. The article is interesting.
    There might be diverse ideas about the rules, but taking the traditional way seems preferable in this type of greeting.

Thanks!

4. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    Not necessarily. Personally I think it's bollocks not to congratulate a bride.

5. reganse Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    English – U.S.
    I agree with pickarooney. The western world seems to be a lot more informal these days. If you are congratulating someone (male or female, bride or groom) and your sentiments are heartfelt, they will be warmly accepted … just my opinion.

6. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    I don't just think that's old fashioned - it's also very sexist! I would expect to be congratulated on my wedding day.

7. azuki Senior Member

Japanese
    I am not clear with your comment, pickarooney. Could you explain it to me?:)

8. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    He thinks, and I agree, that it's a ridiculous idea (bollocks = rubbish = shit) not to congratulate a bride but to congratulate her husband!

9. Er.S.M.M.Hanifa Senior Member

Tamil
    As per dictionary,'bollocks' means testicles. So the word is vulgar.
    In what sense native English people are using this word?
    Er.S.M.M.Hanifa