Conservative reinforcement

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by nasis, Sep 2, 2011.

1. nasis Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina. English - United States
    My literal translation "refuerzo conservador" does not make any sense. Can you give me a hand with this phrase? Here is the context:

"Two potential sources of bias have been scruti­nized above, conservative reinforcement and the demand for positional good."

Thanks!

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    I have no idea what that refers to. Can you expand the context a little?

3. nasis Junior Member

Argentina
    I'm reading a paper and I spotted the phrase "conservative reinforcement" many times. Let me quote other sentences to see if you get the meaning:

"First, there is a “conservative reinforcement” in benefit-cost analysis which is likely to produce biases against policy interventions to protect a degraded environment."

"Thus, there is a downward bias in benefit-cost analysis of institutional change because prices resulting from existing property rights will intro­ duce a downward bias in net benefits of the alternatives. This bias, or conservative reinforce­ment (Randall, 1987), suggests a kind of “tyranny of the status quo”."

"Conservative reinforce­ment
    tells us that if we use benefit-cost analysis to compare alterna­tive propertyrights arrangements or other
    policies, there will be a bias against any proposed change."

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

4. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Sugerencia: Tendencia conservadora.

5. nasis Junior Member

Argentina
    Thanks Cubanboy! You've helped me twice in a row!