consonant pronunciation

Discussion in 'Multilingual Glossaries' started by ronanpoirier, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Well , I have started working on this table with the consonants pronounce of several languages, far now, the main Neolatin languages, Hungarian and English are the ones which I have already written... however, I'm affraid it may have some mistakes, so I'd like that anyone correct it and, if possible, add another language as well.

Where it has a Ø, it means that sound doesn't exist in that language and the ? means I am not sure if that sound exist in that language and what letter, digraph or trigraph represent that sound. Ah, by the way, when I write digraph or trigraph, sometimes it is not a digraph or a trigraph, but I use those words meaning that you use those letters together. In Hungarian, even GY, NY, SZ and etc. are considered single letters, not a digraph.

Well, Thanks in advance to anyone who answers it! :) And I hope new languages to be added!!!

Oh ya, I forgot to say that, if possible, someone add the IPA symbol which I haven't written!!! Then, to those who know it, it will become better to understand! :)

_o/ Thanks again.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. optimistique Senior Member

I have added Dutch and added a few to others I knew. However I do not know how to insert IPA symbols with Excel, so unfortunately I have not been able to add the missing IPA symbols even though I know some of them.
    Also it is probably not complete, so I will add things when they come to my mind.:)

Attached Files:

• IPA.xls
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  3. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Well... the ones I knew and they weren't like /b/ or /h/ which I on my keyboard, I opened the Map of Characters and I found some there... but you may go to Wikipedia and search for IPA and then copy the symbols.

Thanks _o/

4. pamproductions Banned

London
    England/English
    You can download free IPA fonts for your computers from University College London's website. All for nothing thus: Just google UCL IPA fonts.

5. optimistique Senior Member

Thanks for your help!

I've added even somemore.
    Please check for the already given languages whether these sounds exist there where I've put question marks.

Attached Files:

• IPA.xls
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
  6. Demurral Senior Member

BCN
    Catalan, Spanish
    I'v made the Catalan Column!

There are sounds in catalan that hasn't its correspodent IPA in the Excel. I didn't now how to add them, so I just filled the ones that exists in Catalan.

See you!

Attached Files:

• IPA.xls
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Sionees Junior Member

England, UK
    Welsh - Wales
    Welsh enclosed - requires editing re: IPA though ;-)

Hwyl

Attached Files:

8. Ajura Senior Member

English
    I added also the Bahasa Indonesia Orthography in the table. ;)

Attached Files: