constancia de no antecedentes penales

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Danielita, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Danielita

Danielita Senior Member

USA English
    Field and topic:
    This document is a no prior criminal record confirmation letter from Mexico. I am having a little difficulty with the following phrase and I was hoping someone could help correct it or suggest changes. Thanks in advance.
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    Que habiendose realizado una minuciosa busqueda en los archivos de esta Dependencia, no se encontro registro de antecedente penal en contra de:

C. Luis Miguel

Translation attempt: That after having conducted a thorough search in the files of this Department, no prior criminal record was found to be filed against:

Citizen Luis Miguel

Please advise

2. eesegura Senior Member

Kansas City, Missouri
    USA/English
    Hola Danielita,

Your translation basically looks good to me. I might change "in" for "of" in: "...a thorough search of the files..." - but maybe not, as they're very close. The only thing I really question is that the sentence starts out with "That..." Is this part of a bulleted list? If not, you may want to consider just saying, "After having conducted (or "after conducting") a thorough search of the files of this Department (or "the Department's files"), no prior criminal record was found to be filed against..."

¡Suerte!

3. chepe jones Senior Member

i like both your translation and eesegura's suggestion. my only thought would be changing the ending from "to be filed against" to a simple "for"
    as in "no prior criminal record was found for ..."

4. eesegura Senior Member

Kansas City, Missouri
    USA/English
    Good suggestion, chepe. :)