1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

constancia de no antecedentes penales

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Danielita, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Danielita

Danielita Senior Member

USA English
    Field and topic:
    This document is a no prior criminal record confirmation letter from Mexico. I am having a little difficulty with the following phrase and I was hoping someone could help correct it or suggest changes. Thanks in advance.
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    Que habiendose realizado una minuciosa busqueda en los archivos de esta Dependencia, no se encontro registro de antecedente penal en contra de:

C. Luis Miguel

Translation attempt: That after having conducted a thorough search in the files of this Department, no prior criminal record was found to be filed against:

Citizen Luis Miguel

Please advise

2. eesegura Senior Member

Kansas City, Missouri
    USA/English
    Hola Danielita,

Your translation basically looks good to me. I might change "in" for "of" in: "...a thorough search of the files..." - but maybe not, as they're very close. The only thing I really question is that the sentence starts out with "That..." Is this part of a bulleted list? If not, you may want to consider just saying, "After having conducted (or "after conducting") a thorough search of the files of this Department (or "the Department's files"), no prior criminal record was found to be filed against..."

¡Suerte!

3. chepe jones Senior Member

i like both your translation and eesegura's suggestion. my only thought would be changing the ending from "to be filed against" to a simple "for"
    as in "no prior criminal record was found for ..."

4. eesegura Senior Member

Kansas City, Missouri
    USA/English
    Good suggestion, chepe. :)