constancia médica / constancia de incapacidad

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by AleRossell, Apr 7, 2011.

1. AleRossell

AleRossell Senior Member

México
    Spanish/English
    ..las faltas de asistencia al trabajo debidas a enfermedades o accidentes, solamente serán justificadas con las constancias de incapacidad que legalmente expida el Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social..

Doctor's note?
    Proof of.....?
    Any ideas?​

2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    "Certificate of disability".

3. AleRossell

AleRossell Senior Member

México
    Spanish/English
    Perfect! Thanks!

4. LisaPaloma Senior Member

El Salvador
    Am English - NC
    I came across this while searching for a good translation of "constancia médica", and I disagree with the translation given above. Here in El Salvador, and if I remember correctly, in Mexico, too, "incapacidad" is used much more freely than in English. If you go to the doctor with the flu and he/she says "You should stay home in bed for three days," you are considered "incapacitado/a". I would not translate that as "disability".

I still haven't found a good translation, though I'm leaning toward "medical excuse".

5. mewilson Senior Member

I would say "Documentation/proof of medical incapacity." I agree that "disability" has more of a long-term or permanent connotation, at least in American English.

I'm sure there are many other correct ways of saying it.

6. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    I would only point out that in this thread the certificate/documentation is provided by the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, not by a physician; this suggests to me something more long lasting than a few days in bed.

7. mewilson Senior Member

The IMSS administrates health care for all Mexicans that participate in the program. It's like Medicaid or Medicare.

8. LisaPaloma Senior Member

El Salvador
    Am English - NC
    If it works the way it does in El Salvador, the doctors work for IMSS and the IMSS clinics have forms that are filled out as constancias for patients. These are provided as proof, even in cases where the patient went to the clinic only for a prenatal check-up, for example. Employees who are covered by seguro social must go to the clinic to justify an absence even when they would prefer and can afford to see a private physician. It's much more like an HMO in that sense than Medicaid or Medicare.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013