constandome las generales no consignadas en el mismo

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by jeanbob, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jeanbob Senior Member

USA English
    Hello,
    I am having difficulty translating the following the phrase in a legal document, it starts out as me exhibe, examino y le devuelvo, constandome las generales no consignadas en el mismo, por sus manifestaciones. I translated it as: He showed me, I examined and returned it to him, being certain to me by its appearance, that the general information is not recorded in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    Hi,
    There is some personal information (see here for las generales) that is not recorded in the document that the writer is shown but that he had been informed about in person ("por sus manifestaciones").

Surely you or someone else can word this idea in a better way.

3. abeille

abeille Junior Member

Ontario Canada
    English Canada
    Hello, This is one of those times when elation at reading the title and seeing the exact phrase I'm looking for turns to disappointment at finding out no one offered you a suggestion about it! Did you ever come up with a good understanding of what was being said? I'd appreciate any help.

4. David Senior Member

me exhibe, examino y le devuelvo, constandome las generales no consignadas en el mismo, por sus manifestaciones.

This is a very old thread, but I believe the proposed translation would not be clear to anyone. The beginning of the sentence is missing, making it very difficult to translate accurately. It must alw¿ays be remembered that Spanish verbs are often unaccompanied by the subject pronoun, while English requires one. The subject of the verb exhibe might be he, she, it, and without a full sentence in context, one can only guess. I include my guesses in brackets.

[There has been] submitted [(exhibe) to me a document which I have] examined and herewith return, relying for personal data omitted from the same on the statements of the [¿affiant, defendant, declarant, janitor, mother-in-law, secret police?]

5. abeille

abeille Junior Member

Ontario Canada
    English Canada
    Muchas gracias! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. You have given me enough to go on to figure out the sense of it (and I appreciate the humour as well!), and I can fill in the blanks to make a clear sentence. Once again, WordReference to the rescue.