Contacting relatives on facebook, help translate message

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by alekshun, Jan 30, 2013.

1. alekshun New Member

English
    Please help translate the following, thank you!:

"I am looking for family, are you related to __________, he died soon after 2000. I think he was from Poznan."

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Poszukuję krewnych. Czy jest ktoś spokrewniony z X. On zmarł po roku 2000. Przypuszczam że był z Poznania.

3. The_Moonlight

The_Moonlight Junior Member

Polish
    Szukam krewnych. Czy jest Pan/Pani spokrowniona z X? Zmarł na początku 2000 roku. Był chyba z Poznania.

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, if he is addressing a particular person -- he should definitely use Pan/Pani. I thought it was a more general question: does anybody know.

5. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    The "on" at the beginning of the third sentence is unnecessary and doesn't sound right to me. The last sentence needs a comma after "przypuszczam".

6. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, you can skip on in Polish -- you are right, or you can leave it in this context -- to stress that the information needed is related to that person. You would ordinarily skip it in a conversation. Comma -- sure you can put comma before że, although it may not be necessary for an ad of that type. It has the quality of a title, to a certain extent, where you can skip punctuation.

7. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    As I said, the "on" doesn't sound natural to me. I wouldn't use it to stress anything. But it could be a matter of personal taste.

I recommend using the comma. It looks wrong without it. It's not a title, and even if it were, we still use commas in titles.

8. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Ok, it may not sound natural to you, I agree. I am not so sure about the comma in advertising type of text. Looking for relatives, and things like that. I think such inquiries behave more like titles. It depends. None of that really matters for the purpose the text is supposed to be used.

9. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    When it comes to punctuation, generally a comma is obligatory before 'że'. I feel about it the same as Ymar. I think it is one of the instances where most educted Polish speakers use commas, leaving aside chats, sms texting, etc. I'd skip 'on' too.

10. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Are there commas in newspaper titles? I don't read that many Polish papers, and I really don't remember.

11. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
  12. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Ok. Thank you. They do.

13. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Just for the record: we don't use a full stop at the end of a title (unless there are more than one sentence, then each has a full stop but the last one.)