Contador/Accountant - abreviatura

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Lechuga0401, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Lechuga0401 New Member

Hola a todos, tengo una duda sobre como debería ser la abreviatura para el título personal "Contador" en inglés

En mi país, cuando alguien se gradúa de contador se escribe "Cr. Rodriguez", como sería en inglés?

tengo la misma duda para Arquitecto.... aquí es Arq. Rodriguez...

Muchas gracias!
    : business
  2. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    The normal form in the US is: "John Smith, CPA" ("CPA" = certified public accountant)

However, people can only call themselves a "CPA" if they have the correct US certification. I'm not sure what we'd call an accountant certified in Uruguay.
  3. Lechuga0401 New Member

Thanks for your soon response!

In Uruguay they are just Public Accountants...they do not need that certification in order to practice...

can I use that abbreviature anyway?
  4. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    No, in the US, the abbreviation "CPA" after someone's name means that they have passed a specific test and have a specific certification valid in the US. Depending on the context, it would probably be better to drop the "Cr" and use "Mr" instead or to use something like "John Smith, Public Accountant (Uruguay)".

Is this for a resume? A work of fiction? A news story?
  5. MichaelCarter New Member

My accounting teacher told me when I was back in college that you MUST have a direct contact with the outgoing changes that our world is going through. I didn’t understand him until I found myself without a job or any future on the horizon. But to my surprise I herd that, on the internet, a new site was built for unemployed accountants, so that they can get a good job in accounting outside the Big4 firms. After all, my teacher was right, you always have to keep an eye out there for what’s new. Go now to the community and find out for yourself what’s best for you.