1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

content vs contented

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Thomas1, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    My question concerns the difference between adjectives such as content and contented in the following two posts:
    I also found:
    "a corrupt text"; "spoke a corrupted version of the language"
    Is there any specific difference between them? Can one use them interchangeably or does it depend on the adjective which is the preferable version (how about these two then)?

Input appreciated,
    Tom

2. marquess Senior Member

U.K.
    U.K. English
    I'm not entirely sure, I would say they are usually interchangeable, but the subtle difference is the '...ed' ending implies 'doing', whereas the phrase without denotes a state.

Thus ' I am content', 'I was content', ' I am corrupt' are states of being.
    ' I am contented by eating', ' I was contented by/with their answers', 'I was corrupted by bad companions' denotes the state being caused.

'The program was corrupt' is interchangeable with, because it presupposes 'the program was corrupted (by a virus/person)'.

' He slept content (contented by something), if a log can be in a state of content (contented by anything)'

3. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Yes this is exactly how I understand it - although I think people nevertheless do use them interchangeably sometimes. Another example that perhaps is mixed up less is open/opened -

The window was open because it was opened by someone!:)