1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Contract/Casual Labor

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by msalyer, Aug 4, 2006.

1. msalyer Junior Member

USA
    English-US
    The reference for this is charging insurance premium based on payroll of subcontractors not insured, etc.

My question is, how would you translate "Contract/Casual Labor"?

I have found: Contrato Temporal, Empleo Precario, and Jornada Laboral...but I don't understand the difference between these to understand which choice might be more precise.

I would appreciate any insight.

2. ch01_kelly

ch01_kelly Senior Member

Argentina
    spanish
    Contrato temporal is "temporary labour"
    Empleo precario would be something like "precarious job"
    Jornada de trabajo "a full day of work"
    The three expressions mean something different, I would like to know if you are referring to the labourer or the labour. Some more context would be needed to answer your question.

3. msalyer Junior Member

USA
    English-US
    Sorry, I'll attempt an explanation: An employer might pay someone as "contract labor" or "casual labor" if that worker is providing him with a service he would not regularly pay his employees for. For instance, a restaurant owner who needed something painted, plumbing repairs, new construction in the restaurant, etc. might seek out someone to contract to do that job for him because he and his employees are not experienced in those fields. Even though he would be paying the individual, that individual would not be considered the owner's employee, he would be considered "contract" or "casual" labor. Contract and casual can be interchanged as they have the same meaning in this sense; however, "contract labor" is the term more often used.

4. Honeypum

Honeypum Senior Member

Madrid / Spain
    Spanish
    In think in your context the translation should be "Contrato temporal".
    Can you give us the whole sentence where the "contrac/casual labor" shows up?

5. msalyer Junior Member

USA
    English-US
    It is the title heading a paragraph regarding Worker's Compensation Laws, so I don't think the actual phrase will help you as it is not used anywhere else in the rest of the document. I'll give an alternate example:

When Steve needed plumbing work done on his business's office, he hired Roger from Roger's Plumbing as contract labor.

6. Honeypum

Honeypum Senior Member

Madrid / Spain
    Spanish
    Then the translation would be "trabajador temporal" o "trabajador con contrato temporal".

7. msalyer Junior Member

USA
    English-US
    trabajador con contrato temporal

I think that this works better than anything else I have found. Or even "trabajo de contrato temporal" if looking at it from the worker's position.

Thanks so much for your help!

8. Honeypum

Honeypum Senior Member

Madrid / Spain
    Spanish
    In the second option, it would be "contrato de trabajo temporal" instead of "trabajo de contrato temporal"

9. msalyer Junior Member

USA
    English-US
    Ah. Thanks again.

10. Honeypum

Honeypum Senior Member

Madrid / Spain
    Spanish
    I mean, from the worker's perspective, he would say "Tengo un contrato de trabajo temporal"