1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

contraer matrimonio civil

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by flipphelp, Oct 9, 2008.

1. flipphelp Junior Member

colombia, spanish/english
    Hi all, Does "contracted civil marriage" sound ok to natives? I know it's too literal but I need to say "X y Z contrajeron matrimonio civil en..." and I don't know how else I can do it without ommiting the "civil" part.

Thanks

2. insurrecta Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-Puerto Rico
    Married by law?

3. BocaJuniors

BocaJuniors Senior Member

NASA Space Center, Mississippi, USA.
    Spanish & English (parejos y por añales)
  4. didakticos

didakticos Senior Member

St. Petersburg, FL, USA
    Español de Costa Rica (y de otras partes también)
    The original question has the verb contraer, and that's the verb that I need to translate.

Al margen se lee: XXXX, Contrajo matrimonio civil con YYYY...

This is from a Birth Certificate from El Salvador. Yes, you read it right: from a Birth Certificate. Why there is marriage information in a BC? I don't know, and please don't ask me.

If it were simply XXXX contrajo matrimonio con YYYY, it would be easier: XXXX was married to YYYY.

But here, I am confused: how to translate Contrajo matrimonio civil :confused:?

Thanks a lot for your help!

5. ajhadames Senior Member

Spanish
    According to Webster's Dictionary, "contraer matrimonio"="to contract marriage", therefore "to contract civil marriage" seems appropiate; it doesn't sound as common language, though, but it makes sense. "To contract" is "to enter into a legal/verbal/etc, bind", but it also means 'to acquire(involuntarily)", as may be in the case of a disease, which may very well apply to marriage these days. It can be simply translated as "married by civil law". To answer someone else's question about the mention of marriage on a birth certificate, it is commonly done in countries of hispanic origin, to show marriage between the parents of the issuee.

6. didakticos

didakticos Senior Member

St. Petersburg, FL, USA
    Español de Costa Rica (y de otras partes también)
    Thanks a lot ajhadames!

7. insurrecta Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-Puerto Rico
    :D

8. ajhadames Senior Member

Spanish
    La pegaste!!!:D:D:D.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  9. alvapr New Member

Alexandria, VA
    Spanish (Puerto Rico)
    I would say "to enter into a civil marriage."

10. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    Or married in a civil ceremony.
    I would never use "contracted matrimony." It sounds like they caught a disease.