contrato de comodato

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by MichaelBR, Mar 9, 2007.

1. MichaelBR New Member

Madrid, Spain
    English, England
    Hello all,

I am having a problem with this phrase, I think I understand it but I can´t think of an English equivalent that I feel happy with! Is it a "loan contract" normally referring to machinery rather than money.

Grateful for any help:)
  2. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Hi Michael,
    There was already a thread in the Legal Terminology section on this phrase.
    It is something like the right of usufruct (free use of something --tangible or intangible-- for a variable time).
    Legal experts might give you more answers.
  3. the boss Banned

comodato es commodatum
  4. MichaelBR New Member

Madrid, Spain
    English, England
    Thanks very much, I had seen the thread you mentioned Frida, it doesn't give me an answer. Comodatum certainly seems to be the correct translation but it doesn't appear to be used very often. It's not in the wordreference dictionary and a google search only gives 300 entries. I think I'm going to use a descriptive phrase that captures the meaning such as "Equipment Loan"as a heading and a descriptive paragraph to follow. Thanks once more to both of you for your suggestions. :)
  5. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Hi again Michael,
    Of course if you spelled it commodatum you would find 18,000. But I agree, very few people know the term--I hear that might be true even in the legal profession. So it depends on your audience. Regards.:)
  6. marcogood New Member

Buenos Aires
    English, USA
    Here in Argentina, I recently bought a house and signed a "contrato de comodato". It allowed the previous owner to live in the house for a month after I owned the house in order for them to have enough time to pack up and move. In this case, I would translate it as an "contract to accommodate", as in "do a favor for" or "loan" as opposed to "house" or "rent".
  7. MichaelBR New Member

Madrid, Spain
    English, England
    Hello Frida and Marco,
    Thanks for your comments. The thread was closed but I found your entries interesting anyway! I really did the same as Marco suggested, I translated in accordance with the particular case. Thanks again!
  8. davomol New Member

mexican spanish
    Maybe there is not an exact traslation in english for comodato, but it is just a free lease. The right for use a good that can be a house or any that belongs to other person without being bind to pay a rent
  9. David Senior Member

Archaic in English, but it exists, from law Latin.

Commodatum. A gratuitous loan of goods to be temporarily used by the bailee and returned in specie. He who lends to another a thing for a definite time, to be enjoyed and used under certain conditions without any pay or reward is called commodans, the person who receives the thing is called commodatius and the contract is called commodatum. it differs from locatio and conductio in this: that the use of the thing is gratuitous.

Black's Law Dictionary, sub nomine Commodatum

You are the commodans and the seller becomes the commodatius, and the arrangement is the commodatum.