1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

conventional post?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by ceteach, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ceteach Junior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hello everybody!

Can you please tell me if I can use the expression conventional post instead of conventional mail?

I want to send it by conventional mail.
    I want to send it by conventional post.

Thanks a lot!

2. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    Depende a quién quieras decírselo, o sea, depende de si es en inglés americano o inglés británico.

En inglés americano es "mail", y en inglés británico es "post".

Saludos, t

3. ceteach Junior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Yes, I know post is British English and mail American English, but I wasn't sure if "conventional post" is usually used.

Thanks a lot for your help!

4. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Generally, 'post' is used in BrE and 'mail' in AmE.

What do you mean by 'conventional mail/post', though? Do you have more context?

5. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Yes, please tell us what you are trying to say in Spanish.

6. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    Como indica fenixpollo, dinos en español lo que quieres decir en inglés . . .

7. Manuel G. Rey

Manuel G. Rey Senior Member

Correo convencional, coloquialmente correo cangrejo, aunque en inglés creo que optan por snail post.

8. maxpapic Senior Member

Tampa, FL
    español - República Dominicana
    "Regular mail."

9. ceteach Junior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    I mean conventional mail in contrast to special delivery. But what I need to know is if I can use conventional post in the UK the same as you can use conventional mail in the USA. Does that phrase exist?

Thanks a lot to all of you!!!

10. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Again, please tell us what you are trying to say in Spanish. This is a translation forum, after all. Or, if you aren't translating anything specific, at least tell us how you would say "conventional mail" in Spanish.

To explain the phrase for our British friends: when you say "conventional mail", I think of the U.S. Postal Service. When you use the phrase "conventional mail", you might be trying to draw a distinction between the USPS and private shipping companies, like Fedex; or you might be drawing a distinction between snail mail and email.

11. alanla

alanla Senior Member