Convertir dólares en forma numérica a forma de palabra

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Jagged, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Jagged New Member

Idaho, EEUU
    EEUU - US English
    Field and topic:
    Tengo unos documentos legales que se utiliza el banco cuando se da un préstamo a un prestatario. Los documentos contienen unos cantidades en dólares que me falta traducir a Español. Ya se mas o menos como se escribe en español, pero hay unas partes que me confunden.
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    $1900.19
    Se escribe "One Thousand Nine Hundred and 19/100" en Inglés.
    ¿Como se escribe En Español - "Mil Novecientos y 19/100", o "Un Mil Novecientos y 19/100"?
    Tambien, ¿se utiliza una igriegra para definir el punto entre los números enteros y las decimales?

Recordáis que son documentos legales, asi que se requiere que la frase esté exacto.

2. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Hi jagged:

Welcome to the forums.

It should be:

Un mil novecientos (pesos/euros/etc) y 19/100.

The name of the currency should follow the whole amount, just before the cents.

Greetings

3. Jagged New Member

Idaho, EEUU
    EEUU - US English
    Ok, that works. I was thinking that they both sound correct, but as far as which is the more correct or proper of the two, I wasn't really sure.

So what if I had an amount of $180,000.00. Would the conversion be "Ciento Ochenta Mil y 00/100" or "Un Ciento Ochenta Mil y 00/100"?

I apologize for the questions. Me and a few other guys that I work with speak Spanish, but we're all Americans and lack knowledge when it comes to the specifics of Spanish! So, here I find myself, hoping to find pearls of wisdom among you guys. :)

4. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    At least in Spain
    "Mil novecientos dólares y/con 19 céntimos/centavos" and
    "Ciento ochenta mil dólares y/con cero céntimos/centavos".
    In Spain you would only use "céntimos" when talking about euro amounts, not "centavos".

If you want to use a shorter expression I would say
    "Mil novecientos con 19 (dólares)" and
    "Ciento ochenta mil (con cero) dólares". Even in a legal document I would never include "con cero". It is usual (both in English and Spanish) to use both expressions to avoid misinterpretations. So: "Se pagará la cantidad de 180.000,00 (ciento ochenta mil) pesos mexicanos".

I have never seen the notation "19/100" when you talk about fractions (except, of course, when you use a scientific notation.

5. DR ROBER Junior Member

SPANISH
    So what if I had an amount of $180,000.00. Would the conversion be "Ciento Ochenta Mil y 00/100" or "Un Ciento Ochenta Mil y 00/100"?

The conversion must been: Ciento Ochenta Mil.
    In numbers under de unity of Euro you must said or write "céntimos" but if you haven´t céntimos or céntimos = 0, then you must to kep from´em.
    And never said: un ciento, correctly is: ciento when the first digit is 1.
    Also ¡be carefull when the first digit is 5!, here change, you can´t said "cincociento" but quienientos is the rigth way.

6. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Just a small correction, if you don't mind ;)