1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

cooperative ability

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sanya2013, Apr 5, 2013.

1. sanya2013

sanya2013 Senior Member

Chinese
    These phrases "cooperative ability", "cooperation ability" and "ability for cooperation" are used on the Internet. Which one is correct?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    We answer questions about words and phrase in complete sentences and with context/background.

You will need to give us those (and name your sources) for us to be able to help you. (Please have a look at the first Sticky thread on the main page for our rules and tips on asking questions.) Thank you.

3. sanya2013

sanya2013 Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you. What I want to ask is which expression in the quotation makes is correct: Jack has "the cooperative ability", or "the cooperation ability", or "the ability for cooperation".

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I'm afraid none of these sounds correct:
    Jack has the cooperative ability.
    Jack has the cooperation ability.
    Jack has the ability for cooperation.

You haven't given us the context -- the situation in which you would use this -- so it is difficult to give you an answer. This, however, would make some sense:
    Jack has the ability to cooperate; he just doesn't have the desire.

5. sanya2013

sanya2013 Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you so much. When one applies for a job and lists his/her qualifications for the job, he/she might say 'I have a cooperative/cooperation ability or an ability for cooperation.' Which one sounds normal and correct?

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I work well with others.

7. sanya2013

sanya2013 Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you Copyright.