1. Overton Senior Member

Paris
    France/England
    How would you say "coordonnées" in English when it doesn't mean just "name and address" (as it says in most dictionaries...) but also includes phone and fax number, email address, etc.
    Could "contact details" be a good option?

2. njcaviet Senior Member

London
    English, UK
    "contact details" sounds perfect to me!

3. radjane dessama Senior Member

karikal, india
    english, french, india
    Could "contact details" be a good option?

:thumbsup:

4. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    Also: contact information is used a lot (or contact info).

5. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    In the UK we also say (give me your)particulars

6. englishman Senior Member

English England
    I don't think we say that much these days - it's rather old-fashioned, and puts me in mind of "Dixon of Dock Green" era bobbies, clipping young scoundrels round the ear.

7. shally Junior Member

india
    bonjour à tous,

Does "coordonnées" means just the contact information? Est-ce que ça peut avoir le sens présentez-vous?

merci d'avance

8. radjane dessama Senior Member

karikal, india
    english, french, india
    no

9. shally Junior Member

india
    une fois j'ai été interviewé et la première question était" donnez vos coordonnées?"
    Est-ce qu'il m'a demandé seulement l'information de me contacter? quelles informations j'ai dû donner?

10. jimreilly Senior Member

Minneapolis
    American English
    But if you asked people for their particulars in the US, they would be puzzled, and might even wonder if you were asking for their weight or measurements.

11. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    OUI
    Nom
    adresse
    tel

12. bb-bas Senior Member

What about "coordonnées" meaning: "name, address etc... in a form?
    Is "Personal Information" OK? or "Personal data"??:confused:

13. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    particulars :)

14. bb-bas Senior Member

Thank you:))
    Meantime I've found "personal details" and it sounds OK too:))

15. Scrivener Senior Member

France
    English - UK
    Or "contact details", if it's only that.

16. LivingTree

LivingTree Senior Member

Canada
    English - Canadian
    Or "contact information" ("contact info", less formally). That's what I'm very used to.

"Personal details" would be quite incorrect here, I'm afraid. Personal details include information like age/date of birth and whatever else is relevant to the context.

Coordonnées refers only to the information needed for contacting someone by mail, email, telephone or fax.

In a different context, the English would in fact be "coordinates" (i.e. geographic coordinates: longitude and latitude); the word has not been adopted for the same purpose in English as coordonnées is in French.

17. Bastoune Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    French & English - Canada
    In informal North American "slang," one can say, "Give me your 411."

"411" is the number one can call for directory assistance (contact information/details of a company or individual). So nowadays it is used to mean "coordonnées" of a person.

But normally, I am used to hearing "contact information" or "contact details" -- both with equal frequency.

18. bb-bas Senior Member

19. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    Contact details is a subset of personal details. In the general sense, contact details is the correct translation of coordonées. However, in the heading of a form you can say personal details if you like, since contact details are indeed covered by this description. In the other thread, however, it was definitely incorrect to use "personal details" in the context, and I'm going to post a reply there too.

20. bb-bas Senior Member

Thanks for your answer - that was really quick:)) and very clear!
    So I'll leave it like that and will definitely be more clever next time:))))

21. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Just to add my two cents:

I would also say/write: "Contact information/details". I have never heard anyone ask for my "411". I don't think this expression is very common, although I could be wrong. (Perhaps in certain regions/with certain speakers, it is)