1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

coping mechanism

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by chechocol, Jul 5, 2013.

1. chechocol

chechocol Junior Member

Dubai, UAE
    Colombian spanish
    Hello all.

I am listening to a conference and the doctor is talking about this:

Now, most researchers believe obesity is the cause of insuline resistance. Logically then, if you want to treat insuline resistance you get people to lose weight, right? You treat the obesity. But what if we have it backwards? What if obesity isn’t the cause of insuline resistance at all? In fact, what if it is a symptom of a much deeper problem? The tip of a proverbial iceberg! I know it sounds crazy because We’re obviously in the midst of an obesity epidemic but, hear me out, what if obesity is a (couping-cuping-copying) mechanism for a far more sinister problem going on underneath the cell? I am not suggesting that obesity is benign; but what I am suggesting is It may be the lesser of two metabolic evils.​

I understand the general idea, but I don't know what verb he is using here, since none of them seems to be correct.

thank you in advance for your help.

Sergio

2. TravelinTom

TravelinTom Senior Member

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    English - Texan
    coping mechanism.... cope..superar

3. chechocol

chechocol Junior Member

Dubai, UAE
    Colombian spanish
    Tom, thank you. It is a real shame I can't actually change the thread's name to include the correct one!

4. fqo Senior Member

Argentina
    Español Argentina
    Puede interpretarse como superar en algunos casos, pero la mayoría de las veces to cope significa afrontar, hacer frente, abordar, enfrentarse con... En el ejemplo parece claro que el disertante decía que la obesidad podría interpretarse como un mecanismo de respuesta para otro problema mayor.

5. Copal

Copal Senior Member

México
    Mexican Spanish
    De acuerdo con fqo. En psicología se usa "Cope" para decribir mecanismos adaptativos frente a problemas graves. Aquí el médico propone que la obesidad es un mecanismo de emergencia de organismo para evitar daños más severos. Coping mechanism, sería entonces, mecanismo de adaptación o defensa, en este caso.

Copal.

P.S. Sería interesante que dejaras en tu hilo el nombre del médico que propone esta tesis.

6. chechocol

chechocol Junior Member

Dubai, UAE
    Colombian spanish
    Veo que alguien, algún administrador supongo, cambió el nombre del thread. Gracias.

Es una charla de TED, el médico se llama Peter Attia.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013