1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. kevlating Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish (Peru/Spain)
    Hello guys,

I have a big doubt. I'm staying in the UK and I just applied for the national insurance number in order to work here. I just got in the mail the application fom which I have to fill in and return to some address. But, also I have to attach this in the envelope:

"Provide an original or certified copy of your passport or identity card".

At first I was 100% sure i just had to make a photocopy of my passport and put in the envelope but asking some people they have all told me the same: You have to put in the envelope YOUR "physical" passport and send it with your application. I just wanted to confirm this with native english speakers. Do you have a difference between copy and photocopy then?.

2. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Here is how to parse the original:

Provide your original passport or identity card
    or
    provide a certified copy of your passport or identity card

If you don't want to send the original by mail, you can have a certified copy made, but that is not just a photocopy. It has to be certified by a notary public or the like. At least that's what we would do in the US, but you should check with someone who knows more about British law.

3. kevlating Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish (Peru/Spain)
    Yeah. Maybe there's a difference in the UK. I will wait for UK natives. Because I don't know if certifying a copy of the passport would take some time, and me paying some money and I don't think these people I'm applying to would put everyone under such complicated situation.

4. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    I don't think they want you to mail your passport or ID card together with your application. I think they mean you may present them if you appear in person; otherwise, you may mail a certified copy of either document.

5. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I'm afraid that is exactly what these people expect. Yes, you must pay to have the copy certified. If you just sent a photocopy, it would be very easy to make a false copy, so the copy wouldn't be worth anything. It is very common to request a certified copy of important legal documents.

6. kevlating Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish (Peru/Spain)
    I also understood that at the beggining but some people working at my uni (there's almost no staff at this time) have told me that "original copy of your passport" is your actual physical passport. Maybe that is what it means in the UK.

7. gengo

gengo Senior Member

That is what it means everywhere. Maybe the word "copy" is confusing you, but the original passport issued to you by your government can be called the original copy. We use this wording often when there is an original of something and duplicates of it. I admit that it is somewhat illogical, but that's how we say it in English.

8. kevlating Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish (Peru/Spain)
    OK. So I may have then to put in also in the envelope my physical passport. I guess they will just return it back once they have checked it.

9. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    If so, be sure to use registered or certified mail. Even so, it's a risky thing to do.

10. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I agree. Surely there must be a relatively cheap and easy way to get a copy certified where you live.

11. kevlating Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish (Peru/Spain)
    OK. I'll just ask tomorrow where I can do this, and also call the helpline and ask directly what do they mean by that. Thanks to all.

12. Deidelia. Senior Member

Español (México)
    I think you should go to your country embassy or consulate and maybe there you could get a certified copy of your passport.

D

13. worldspeak

worldspeak Senior Member

USA
    English-USA & German
    I know this is late, but some adjustments (not set in stone) and corrections (I hope you don't mind) to your question:

"I have a question. I'm staying in the UK and I just applied for the national insurance number in order to work here. I just got the application form in the mail, which I have to fill in and return to some address. But, I also have to include the following in the envelope:
    ..."At first I was 100% sure that I just had to make a photocopy of my passport and put it in the envelope but when I asked some/various/other people, they have all told me the same thing: You have to put your (*this should not be all capital letters because this would be emphasizing "yours" versus "someone else's", you could italicize "physical" however, to emphasize it)"physical" passport in the envelope and send it with your application. I just wanted to confirm this with native English speakers. So is there a difference then, between copy and photocopy in English?"

Of course there are other variations, but I thought that since we are here to learn, I'd give you some suggestions.