1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Corbina [corvina] (pescado)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Photokillaz, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Photokillaz New Member

Spanish
    hola buenas a todos

estoy traduciendo unos menus para empresas extranjeras i me gustaria saber como se dice CORBINA en ingles.

muchissimas gracias. thank for your kind assistance

2. ManPaisa

ManPaisa Senior Member

Here and there in a topsy-turvy world
    AmE (New England) / español (Colombia)
    Nunca lo habia visto escrito con b, sino con v (corvina)

Aquí puedes ver la posible traducción.

3. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I agree. Foreigners would understand it as seabass in a restaurant.

4. Photokillaz New Member

Spanish
    Many thanks lis48, have a fruitful day

5. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    The name of the fish in English is maigre or meagre

6. omarkos New Member

English
    Corvina seems to be the name given to many different species of the drum or croaker family (Sciaenidae) throughout the Spanish-Speaking world. The fish know in Spain as "corvina" is indeed called the "maigre" in English (in EngLAND that is).

However in northern Mexico the Red Drum or Redfish is called a Corvina, and on the west coast a fish looking very much like a seatrout is called a corvina.

If you want to be accurate, find out what the local "corvina" is and translate it to that. However, seabass is a safe bet, and sounds more appetizing than "croaker" or "drum" Though those in the know, know that croakers are downright delicious.

7. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I love my fish but have never heard of/seen maigre on a fish stall in England.

8. Bola del Mundo

Bola del Mundo Junior Member

This is not "sea bass" (which in the UK at least, is a fish caught off the coast). This is a pacific fish and probably not sold in the UK.
    Wikipedia refers to it as "corvina" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilus_gilberti. So perhaps best to leave it as it is.

9. omarkos New Member

English
    Not true Bola. "Seabass" is a very generic term for many different species and means a different fish in every country or region that it is used (much like "corvina").

Besides, I didn't say a corbina WAS a seabass, just that it was a good a translation as any given the wide variety of fisht that are referred to as "corvina"; much like the wide variety of fish that are referred to as "seabass".

Corvina are coastal fish caught off all coasts (all that speak Spanish that is). Not just the Pacific.

In general it is a coastal fish (as opposed to pelagic) and has a mild white flesh. Perhaps "seatrout" is a better translation. But, again it depends on who is calling it a "corvina (corbina)".

10. Bola del Mundo

Bola del Mundo Junior Member

I guess it depends on the target audience for this translation. I was really referring to the UK, where in culinary terms (which is the context we are referring to here) "sea bass" specifically refers to a type of fish that the Spanish would call "lubina" (I think the Latin name is Dicentrarchus labrax). If you saw "sea bass" on the menu, this is what you would expect.
    As you say, I'm sure it is used differently in other parts of the world, but I believe it would be incorrect to call this fish "sea bass" if the target market for this translation was British. In this specific case, I would probably use Corvina.
    Due to the difference in regional naming of fish, I don't think you will find a generic answer to this, so as I said, you really need to consider the reader/target audience when deciding.