Correct abbreviation and placement of minutes and hours

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Juergen H, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Juergen H New Member

Indonesia
    german
    I am confused about abbreviation of minutes and hours. How to correctly write this in short for a brochure introducing a spa treatment that takes 2 hours and 15 minutes. 2 hrs 15 min vs 2hrs 15min vs 2hrs15min, or different? Thank you.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I think you can use whatever will be understandable to your audience. I would use 2hr 15min. Using 2hrs 15mins just gets a little more visually confusing, in my opinion. But whatever you use, the hr/min and hrs/mins must match in terms of singular or plural, so 2hrs 15min (singular "min" for 15 of them) is out.

The other advantage of using the singular is that when the art director is setting it, you have hr throughout, for 1 or more hours; whereas, if you try to match the singular/plural to the number, you end up with both hr and hrs.

1hr 45min
    2hr 15min

rather than

1hr 45mins
    2hrs 15mins

As for tucking the hr and min to the number, I think it looks better, that's all.

3. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    In your particular case (an advertising brochure), you could just say: ... a little over two hours ...".

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Oh, not for spa treatments. Management needs to specify, and customers want to know, exactly how long. ;)

5. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    And I thought that spa customers had all the time in the world, and were not overly concerned about the length of their treatments! :D

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    They do have – and want – all the time in the world, but they know management doesn't want to give it to them except at a price, so they're really into knowing how many minutes they're getting. There's a world of difference between 1hr 15min and 1hr 30min. :)