correct account of

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SuprunP, Jan 31, 2013.

1. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    A year later Dirac published his relativistic electron theory, which took correct account of Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.
    (Encyclopædia Britannica 2010 ; 'subatomic particle')

What exactly is it supposed to mean? Was there some kind of 'incorrect account'?

Thanks.

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    "To take account" means "to allow for." I presume that Dirac took into consideration the implications of Einstein's theory, and he did so correctly or he was correct to do so. This looks like one of those odd situations where an adverb is expressed as an adjective when it modifies a more-or-less standard verb phrase.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    I don't think so - I think this is a redundancy. As I recall, Heisenberg's and Schrödinger's quantum theory didn't take account of relativistic effects, and Dirac came up with a theory which did. So, if I'm right, 'correct' is redundant. But possibly someone before Dirac did have a go at bringing relativity in, but not correctly. There's nothing wrong with a bit of redundancy: as phrased, it doesn't strongly imply there was an incorrect account.

4. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you lucas-sp and entangledbank!