1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Correo Ordinario

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Joruro, May 10, 2006.

1. Joruro Senior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan native - Spanish native (Spain)
    Hola,
    alguien me sabría decir como se denomina en inglés lo que en España llamamos el "Correo ordinario"? Standard, post? Ordinary post? no me suenan nada bien!

Gracias de antemano por su ayuda.

Jordi

2. the-pessimist Senior Member

England
    English, United Kingdom
    I'm not sure if I fully understand what correo ordinario means, having never been to Spain. But I would just say:

"By post", for "a través del correo ordinario"

3. LuisRR Junior Member

Spanish (spain)
    Creo que es "ordinary mail"

Un saludo

4. Joruro Senior Member

Barcelona
    Yes, I use lots of time: "by post". But in that case I would like to be sure my reader will understand I will not use express post or any other urgent mailing system, just regular post, ordinary post, standard post. Do you understand what I mean?

Thnak anyway for your answer. I really appreciate.

5. the-pessimist Senior Member

England
    English, United Kingdom
    Now that I think about it. Perhaps we don't have an actual phrase in England (I'm not sure about in the USA, but also, any fellow Brits, feel free to correct me), and it is just used as people wish - e.g. Standard post, standard mail, ordinary mail, ordinary post.

But I think 'by post' should cover most things 'ordinary'

6. the-pessimist Senior Member

England
    English, United Kingdom
    I think if you do not specify any need for urgent/secured/recorded delivery, then it is assumed in Britain, that:

By post = by the standard/regular posting system

7. beardouk Senior Member

La Habana, Cuba
    English, from England
    But "ordinary post" makes it clear.

8. Joruro Senior Member

Barcelona
    Thank you all!

9. the-pessimist Senior Member

England
    English, United Kingdom
    But I'm sure you would agree beardouk, that if someone said "standard post", or "regular mail" or "ordinary mail" or various other permutations using similar words - you wouldn't think it to be incorrect.

i.e. my point being, there is not a clear phrase used uniformly -nevertheless, a phrase can be adapted just for the sake of clarity.

10. beardouk Senior Member

La Habana, Cuba
    English, from England
    Indeed, no - I agree with you t-p, that any of those will do.

11. Kiwini

Kiwini New Member

VIGO
    SPAIN, Spanish
    I've also heard "snail mail" in reference to that now e-mails are as fast as just a click, but of course I'd use it when chating or e-mailing someone to advise that I'd send something by Ordinary mail.

12. the-pessimist Senior Member

England
    English, United Kingdom
    I wouldn't use snail mail on an official level - but yes, you're right it is used in comparison with e-mail.

But, to date, the word 'post' has not been associated with e-mails. Therefore, if you asked me to mail you something now in 2006, it would definitely be ambiguous to me as to whether you are referring to electronic or 'snail' mail. But, 'by post' removes that sort of uncertainty, as it can only be one way. But I think the original question was more to do with whether it is some sort of 'special' mailing service that is required, or just the regular mail.

13. elmoch Senior Member

España
    España Español
    Se llama correo ordinario al que no es urgente ni certificado:

Tarifas de Correos (España) para envío de cartas y documentos:
    http://www.correos.es/contenido/01P-EnviarDoc/01-CPostales/01P01-CPostales.asp

En EE.UU. parece que se llama First-Class Mail
    Postcards, letters, large envelopes, and small packages can be sent using First-Class Mail. This service is typically used for personal and business correspondence and bills.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/choosing.htm

Y en Gran Bretaña, standard mail:
    http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400023&mediaId=400028&keyname=ssm

De todas formas, mejor que lo expliquen personas que vivan o hayan vivido en países angloparlantes.

Saludos.