"Corresponds To" or "Corresponds With"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Howdy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Howdy New Member

Cantonese/Mandarin
    So I'm assuming both usages are correct, can they be used interchangeably?

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
  3. Howdy New Member

Cantonese/Mandarin
    Sorry about that.

I was attempting to form a sentence, and I was wondering which would be more appropriate: "This corresponds with what he said earlier on" or "this corresponds to what he said earlier on".

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A good question, Howdy, and I don't know the answer - so I've been off to look.
    First, is there a previous thread about this? correspond to
    Indeed there are two:
    correspond to/with
    correspond to/with

Hmm - that's not very satisfactory at all.

What about the WR Dictionary entry for correspond?
    No help with prepositions there.

The OED?
    Another hmm. I'd hoped for more explanation.

So I turn to New Fowler's Modern English Usage and there I find something rather more like what I was looking for.
    Applying Fowler's model to Howdy's example, I think with would be appropriate.
    This is in harmony or agreement with what he said earlier.
    - becomes
    This corresponds with what he said earlier.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Howdy New Member

Cantonese/Mandarin
    Thank you! This helps a lot! Fowler's seems to have exactly what I was looking for.

6. Gradivus G New Member

English
    Here's an example in context: "How the date of the event in the Quoxodil calendar corresponds [with/to] our Gregorian calendar is a matter of debate."

I think with is correct in this case. If the calendars are different then one does not correspond to the other. A date in one of the calendars could correspond to a date in the other calendar if they mark the same day, but where a date in one calendar would fall in the other calendar is a matter of the correspondence of the one calendar with the other. So...

"Here is how the date of the battle in the Quoxodil calendar corresponds with the Gregorian calendar: Blathmoth 8 corresponds to April 16."

Corresponds with relates to how they correspond. Corresponds to implies an identity between the two.