"Corresponds To" or "Corresponds With"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Howdy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Howdy New Member

So I'm assuming both usages are correct, can they be used interchangeably?
  2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
  3. Howdy New Member

Sorry about that.

I was attempting to form a sentence, and I was wondering which would be more appropriate: "This corresponds with what he said earlier on" or "this corresponds to what he said earlier on".
  4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A good question, Howdy, and I don't know the answer - so I've been off to look.
    First, is there a previous thread about this? correspond to
    Indeed there are two:
    correspond to/with
    correspond to/with

Hmm - that's not very satisfactory at all.

What about the WR Dictionary entry for correspond?
    No help with prepositions there.

The OED?
    Another hmm. I'd hoped for more explanation.

So I turn to New Fowler's Modern English Usage and there I find something rather more like what I was looking for.
    Applying Fowler's model to Howdy's example, I think with would be appropriate.
    This is in harmony or agreement with what he said earlier.
    - becomes
    This corresponds with what he said earlier.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Howdy New Member

Thank you! This helps a lot! Fowler's seems to have exactly what I was looking for.
  6. Gradivus G New Member

Here's an example in context: "How the date of the event in the Quoxodil calendar corresponds [with/to] our Gregorian calendar is a matter of debate."

I think with is correct in this case. If the calendars are different then one does not correspond to the other. A date in one of the calendars could correspond to a date in the other calendar if they mark the same day, but where a date in one calendar would fall in the other calendar is a matter of the correspondence of the one calendar with the other. So...

"Here is how the date of the battle in the Quoxodil calendar corresponds with the Gregorian calendar: Blathmoth 8 corresponds to April 16."

Corresponds with relates to how they correspond. Corresponds to implies an identity between the two.