cortante, corte basal

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Alyona, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Alyona Junior Member

Russia - Russian (foreign - English, Spanish)
    Field and topic:
    Hello and please help me!
    Nobody seems to know what "paño de losa" means, but I still haven't lost hope: =)
    I'm still translating Recomendaciones para el Análisis Sísmico de Estructuras. Does somebody know what "corte basal" means? Here are some more: "cortante basal", "fuerza cortante", "momento de vuelco", "momento flexor"???
    momento torsor = torque, torsional moment, - This I know, but all the rest...
    =( Does cortante basal mean the same as fuerza cortante?
    I'm totally and utterly at a loss...
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    Centro de cortantes de un nivel - es el punto donde se considera aplicada la fuerza cortante de ese nivel..., el centro de cortantes coincide con el centro de masas.
    Or this one:
    Centro de rigidez de un nivel - es el punto por el que debe pasar la línea de acción de la fuerza cortante para que el desplazamiento sea sólo de traslación...
    Coeficiente de corte basal - cociente entre la fuerza lateral sísmica a nivel de base y el peso muerto del edificio más un porcentaje de la carga viva.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  2. clipper Senior Member

Madrid
    England´s english
    Hi, Alyona, I think I can help a bit but I'll have to write in English (I still take too long in Spanish!)

Paño de losa is the surface of a slab (probably a floor slab) I didn't see the original post, did it make a reference to a load or force applied to paño de losa?

As for the rest, here are my understandings:

cortante basal "baseline shear"
    centro de cortantes de un nivel "shear point of a level"
    fuerza cortante "shear force"

The shear force is the force needed to produce the shear effect so no, "cortante basal" is the effect of a sufficient "fuerza cortante" and not the same thing...

I'm afraid that without the context or samples of the terms containing your references to "momentos" I can't give any better ideas than you can already work out from literal translations...

Did you want full translations of the sample sentences? If so I can give it a go later on. (Sorry, don´t have time at the moment. :( )

Clipper

3. Alyona Junior Member

Thank you very much, clipper!
    The way you explained the difference between "fuerza cortante" and "cortante basal" is certainly logical, but what is then "corte basal"?

I would very much appreciate if you translated the sample sentences!

4. Alyona Junior Member

About paño de losa:

En edificios cuyas plantas están conformadas por paños de losas de diferentes dimensiones, el coeficiente de reducción Øri se tomará en cada nivel como el promedio de los Ør o la unidad.

Would it be very cheeky of me to ask you translate this one too?

5. Alyona Junior Member

I still think that "cortante" is just a shorter form for "fuerza cortante":

el cortante producido por el momento torsor...
    and a paragraph lower (by the way, can i say it that way):
    la fuerza cortante producida por el momento torsor...

Can it be that it's "corte" is the effect of "(fuerza) cortante"?..

6. exe Senior Member

Punta Arenas
    chile/español
    I use "corte" for the effect or for the force.

7. clipper Senior Member

Madrid
    England´s english
    OK here's all I can say from 1) my knowledge of structural engineering and 2) my level of spanish...

Centro de cortantes de un nivel point/centre of shear effect of a level- es el punto donde se considera aplicada la fuerza cortante de ese nivel is the point where the shear force is considered to be applied... el centro de cortantes coincide con el centro de masas ... the point/centre of shear effect coincides with the centre of mass

centro de rigidez de un nivel point /centre of rigidity- es el punto por el que debe pasar la linea de acción de la fuerza cortante para que el desplazamiento sea sólo de traslación... is the point through which the plane of a shear force must pass in order that the movement shall only be translation... (as opposed to turning or bending movements, which may be the way to interpret the "momentos" also listed in the question, these movements being produced by moments rather than shear forces ???)

coeficiente de corte basal coefficient of baseline shear (what I would understand to be a shear action acting on a building at ground level, rather that at any other point of its structure)- cociente entre la fuerza lateral sísmica a nivel de base y el peso muerto del edificio más un porcentaje de la carga viva ratio betweeen the lateral seismic force at base level and the dead load (or weight) of the building plus a percentage of the live load

Bear in mind that I'm not a structural engineer but do have some knowledge, and that I have just started working in the spanish industry (after studying building surveying and working in the UK) so I have tried hard to work this out (with help from colleagues explanations and ProZ.com for translations of a few terms) to help my own understanding as well. I would not guarantee that these suggestion are submissable in an official document and would greatly appreciate someone elses opinion ....... Exe ??????:D