1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Couchpotato

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I love this kind of metaphors, and I did not have a clue that we had a very specific Dutch equivalent. How about you in your language ?

Dutch: zetelzwam (armchair fungus), though I have been considering launching words such as 'bankaardappel' for the Dutch and 'sofapatat' for the Flemish, both fairly literal translations but using variants that are more familiar in either of the regions)

2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    hebrew
    בטטה טלוויזיה
    batata televizya
    batata is a sweet potato

3. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi TK (and happy new year)

In Greek:

1/ «Καναπεδάτος» [kanape'ðatos] (masc.), «καναπεδάτη» [kanape'ðati] (fem.), «καναπεδάτο» [kanape'ðato] (neut.) --> couch-idler, sofa-spud < compound; Fr. canapé (a reloan: Hellenistic Gr. «κωνώπιον» kōnṓpiŏn (neut.) --> couch with mosquito-curtains > Lat. cōnōpēum > Old Fr. conopé > Fr. canapé > Gr. καναπές) + productive suffix for adj. in Byzantine and Modern Gr. «-ατος, -ατη, -ατο(ν)» [-atos] (masc.), [-ati] (fem.), [-ato(n)] (neut.) denoting attribute or quality. E.g. coq au vin = «κόκκορας κρασάτος» ['kokoras kra'satos] (both masc.) : lit. rooster winey.

2/ «Μούχλας» ['muxlas] (masc. & fem.) --> mouldy < Mod. Gr. fem. noun «μούχλα» ['muxla] --> mould < Βyz. Gr. fem. noun «ἀμούχλα» amoúxla < Classical fem. noun «ὀμίχλᾱ» ŏmíkʰlā & «ὀμίχλη» ŏmíkʰlē, Attic «ὁμίχλη» hŏmíkʰlē --> fog metaph. mould (PIE *h₃migʰ-lh₂-, fog cf Skt. मेघ (megha), cloud; Lith./Ltv. migla, mist, fog, haze; OCS мъгла > BCS магла/magla, Bul. мъгла, Rus./Ukr. мгла).

With potato we describe something totally different:

A/ «Πετάω πατάτες» [pe'ta.o pa'tates] --> to cast potatoes : to talk nonsensically, foolishly.
    B/ «Κλάνω πατάτες» ['klano patates] --> to fart potatoes (slang) : to become extremely frightened.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Finnish: sohvaperuna, literal translation for 'couch potato'.

5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    There is no Hungarian equivalent either.

6. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, both of you.

In the meantime i have read Apmoy's answer again, and I am not sure anymore whether 1 and 2 are (kind of) equivalents of the couchpotato. I suppose you mean, Apmoy, that those people are called couchy and mouldy, without "being potatoes" at the same time... ;-)

7. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Yes, that is correct :tick:
    Both are equivalents of couchpotato.

8. DreamerX Junior Member

English
    It’s interesting that the expression “couch potato” is spelled as one word in this thread. Is that British/Australian/New Zealand usage (assuming this expression is even used)? I don’t recall ever seeing it as a compound word in North America, either in the US or in Canada.

9. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    It is Belgian-Dutch usage, I am afraid: we spell all compounds as one word, and so I applied that principle to English here. We can ask the moderator to correct it, if you think it better !

10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Interestingly enough the Norwegian equivalent of "couch potato" is sofagris (couch pig). :D

Sofagris.jpg

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    A great one from Australia: a lounge lizard ! I love that one!

12. djmc Senior Member

France
    English - United Kingdom
    I always thought that a lounge lizard was someone who rather than doing real work spent his time inside playing snooker or cards, dancing or otherwise living a dissipated life. A couch potato on the other hand is someone who rather than engaging in active sports, spends his time watching then on the television while drinking beer and eating junk food which would make him fat and thus more potato like.

13. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    The lounge in the American phrase "lounge lizard" refers to the bar of a hotel or a nightclub. It's not the British English "lounge" - a living room in a person's house.
    A lounge lizard is a sleazy person who hangs out in a night club, not a couch potato at all. :)

14. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Good Lord, I had believed a friend of mine who told me about it, but I'll tell him it is not quite the same... Too bad of course...