1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Could you speak (more) slowly?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by easychen, Jun 27, 2012.

1. easychen Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,

Someone is talking very fast and I can hardly follow, so should I say"Could you speak slowly?" or "Could you speak more slowly"?

P.S. I was told that using "Could you speak more slowly" sounds more politically correct, and "Could you speak slowly" would make the speaker uncomfortable. But I'm not sure about it.

2. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    I can't imagine being made uncomfortable by a non-native speaker asking me to speak more slowly, regardless of their phrasing.

As to your question, I think it has more to do with how comparatives function than political correctness. "More slowly" requests a speed slower than what they were using previously, whereas "slowly" requests a speed which would be considered objectively slow.

3. Budspok Senior Member

Lübertsy, Russian Federation
    Russian-Lübertsy
    And what sounds better:

"Could you speak
    more slowly"

"Could you speak slowlier"?

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi Budspok
    With adverbs like slowly - adverbs formed from adjectives by adding -ly to the end - we make the comparative and superlative using more and most.

So:
    "Could you speak more slowly":tick:
    "Could you speak slowlier":cross:

5. easychen Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi Budspok,

I've never heard this before. It can be wrong.:)

6. easychen Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you xqby!

I thought "more slowly" was tinged with "a polite hint," and "slowly" alone was not.

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I see "Could you speak more slowly" as much the politer of the two. "Could you speak slowly" can sound a little abrupt but that could be lessened by voice and delivery, of course ... along with a "please."

8. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I would definitely prefer to be asked to speak "more slowly" than just "slowly."
    The first is a polite request; the second has a suggestion of criticism about it.
    "Slowlier" sounds very wrong to me, like a child learning to speak English.

9. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "Could you speak slowly?"
    might get the answer
    "I am already speaking slowly!" :)

10. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Myridon has a point. "Slowly" implies that there is some rate of speech which is fast, and some other one which is slow, and you want them to use the second one. "More slowly" just means "slower than the rate you are now using."

11. Archstudent Senior Member

English - North London
    How about: Could you slow down?

You could qualify this by adding: I can't understand, or I cannot follow.

12. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    That response sounds like it might have a tone of impatience - the person asking for the slowdown presumably would not have asked if they thought the speaker was already speaking slowly. The speaker, however, may feel they don't want to cooperate by speaking even more slowly than they felt they had been. Either way, the "more slowly" version implies it is the listener who needs help and is asking politely. All pending any additional context, of course!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  13. brunaa Senior Member

Rio Grande do Sul
    Portuguese(BR)- English(US) bilingual
    I would definitely request the person to speak more slowly, but the whole discussion made me wonder if ask to speak 'slower' (as the comparative of slow (adj)) would work.

- Could you speak slower please?:confused:

14. Archstudent Senior Member

English - North London
    Grammatically incorrect. You cannot speak slow (adjective for adverb), so you cannot speak slower either.

In my view, the most comfortable would be to say can/could you slow down, or can/could you speak more slowly.

15. brunaa Senior Member

Rio Grande do Sul
    Portuguese(BR)- English(US) bilingual
    How stupid of me, of course an adjective cannot change a verb! It's mandatory the use of the adverb.

Thanks anyway!:)